Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1959 '99' rear hub finish

Forums

An odd question perhaps but does anyone know for certain how the alloy rear hubs were finished ex-works? Were they polished at all or just in as-cast finish? My originals are corroded after 40 years of neglect so the 'original finish' is guesswork. I'm only the second owner (discounting the first name in the book being Taylor Matterson) so they would not have been 'doctored. from original anyway. I bought a new one from RGM for about £35 many years ago - it seemed silly not to at that price! Easy enough to polish but only if that's an authentic finish.

They were left as cast,no polish. A light sandblast would cover it. To protect from corrosion,a coat of acid etch and a matt silver spray?.

Many thanks Robert. I had a feeling from memory (I bought it in 1965!) that it was just a plain cast finish. I will probably spray it with a matt clearcoat, the same as I plan for the polished front hub centre.

One day I will get a Round Tuit and finish it as Concours! It was a rusty heap after nearly 40 years of neglect, much of it out in the open or in a leaky shed. No chance of "original patina" for me, so I am aiming high! It had most of the optional extras in the 1959 spares book (In red typeface at the back) including chrome mudguards, twin carbs, HC pistons and polished, big valve head. I won't be going back to twin carbs though - there was only one on an improvised/botched inlet manifold when I bought it from Pride & Clarke in 1965. I am also sticking with 6 volt electrics (Shock, horror!) What do you mean "riding in the dark"? The light were fine on my trips to Cornwall in the 1960s. Laughing

Previously robert_tuck wrote:

They were left as cast,no polish. A light sandblast would cover it. To protect from corrosion,a coat of acid etch and a matt silver spray?.

I expect you have read my posts on fitting a new alternator. I now have far more amps than I need and run with the lights on. I also have a 12v socket that I use for the Satnav,phone charging and on board compressor. I will soon be putting back the supply for my heated jacket, very toasty!. Heated grips?,

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans