Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1956 Dominator 99 trip meter

Forums

I have recently acquired a '56 Dominator and cannot reset the trip meter to zero. The adjusting knob will not withdraw to engage the mechanism. I intend to remove the speedo and investigate it's internals but before I do I thought of asking for any tips from the wise out there.

George

Hi, George.

I had a similar problem with my 1966 650SS and included some details of what I did to sort in an article to Roadholder. Search on this site for Roadholder 348, December 2016 and go to page 16. Half way down the second column on that page (part of my article entitled "650SS Ownership Continues To Have Its Ups & Downs") is the start of the appropriate section. In my case the block holding the adjusting cable had come a bit loose preventing correct engagement. It was a simple job to just tighten everything up. The more difficult bit is actually getting in there!

Good luck.

Previously Lance Crossley wrote:

Hi, George.

I had a similar problem with my 1966 650SS and included some details of what I did to sort in an article to Roadholder. Search on this site for Roadholder 348, December 2016 and go to page 16. Half way down the second column on that page (part of my article entitled "650SS Ownership Continues To Have Its Ups & Downs") is the start of the appropriate section. In my case the block holding the adjusting cable had come a bit loose preventing correct engagement. It was a simple job to just tighten everything up. The more difficult bit is actually getting in there!

Good luck.

Thanks Lance,

I will dive in and check after I have read your article.

Regards,

George

hello I think you have to gently pull it out like a watch to reset the mileage it may just need some pen oil or duck oil or WD witch ever you like and gently pull out until you can turn to re-set yours anna j

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans