Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1955 ES2 top end oil leak

Forums

The engine has recently been rebuilt but there is a leak from the top end. It seems to gather on the top of the cylinder head. From the quantity and pattern it almost feels like it is coming out under pressure. Any ideas please?

Hi Stuart

Is it coming out of the joint between the head a rocker box? Mine leaked like mad from there when I first put it together and I had to flatten the two surfaces down with some grinding paste and a sheet of glass. Now it doesn't leak at all with no gasket... The other place it could be coming from is the valvle lifter arm, I squashed a rubber O-ring between the case and the lever to try and stop this. Mine has been pretty good since (about 1500 miles), but I did notice a fair bit of oil coming out last time I used it, so am not quite there yet!

A friend of mine put a breather in his rocker box to try and reduce the pressure and that worked for him.

If you clean it all off and start the engine can you pinpoint exactly where it's coming from? Will help with a solution.

I'd be interested to hear what others think about excess pressure in the rocker box.

Regards

Andy

Thanks Andy - that is what I suspect. The chap who has done the rebuild has the bike back but has stopped communicating. He also made turned longer push rod tubes - I am wondering if the two are related. Maybe have to get it back home and get them off and check..

He also did a mod on the valve lifter machining a groove in the shaft and fitting an o ring. It's now oil free.

stuart

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans