Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1953 ES2 seat

Forums

I have all the parts to re-build my 1953 ES2 with the exception of a seat.

I have approached Leighton's but they inform me that they do not have a pattern as it is the first year of the swinging arm models, but if they had a pattern then they could re-manufacture them.

My question is therefore, does any member out there have a seat for a 1953 model ES2 that they wish to sell or even a seat pan that I could use for a pattern on loan??

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul.

Paul - at some time I shall be having my 1954 ES2 Swing Arm seat recovered by Leightons (I have the pan and the original seat cover although it is very tatty) if you are interested and this helps.

Charles

Hi Charles, I really appreciate your offer, and would be delighted to have a loan or purchase the old seat from you.

My e-mail address is spwebb1@btinternet.com let me have your details and I will call you for a chat.

Regards, Paul.

paul , i know that this is a very distant post - i have bought a 53 500cc es2. has the dual seat on it which has a tear in it. did you ever manage to get one from leightons or anywhere else for that matter.

did you look at a single seat conversion too ? wondered if that was either advisable , doable etc.

many thanks

Mike

Mike,

A couple of years ago I bought a new seat from Leightons for my 1955 single downtube ES2.  It is finished very well but the securing nuts in the seat base were questionable.  The nuts between the metal base and the foam were not captive and moved around when trying to insert the fixing bolts!  Also, the nuts were only 1/4", whereas my original seat used 5/16" bolts, so I don't feel the seat is secure enough for carrying 2 people.

On my other similar ES2 I have a BSA seat (see photo) that fits very nicely and is comfortable.  The main difference is that the proper ES2 seat has red piping.  It all depends on whether you want the bike for riding or show.

Mike, It is a long time now. I sold the bike a number of years ago but I never obtained the correct seat at the time. Can Leightons accommodate now I wonder?

Hi Mike,

Re reading your original post,  it seems that you have the right seat but that the cover is torn? If this is so,  Leighton's are one of a number of companies that will refurbish it for you.  I do have personal experience of Leightons service with my Morini and it is very good. 

They will also supply just a cover or a cover and foam should you wish to do it yourself and save a fair amount of money in the process, but you will need to be sure that your seat is 'correct' for the cover to fit.(Which is why I let them do all the work on mine.)

Of course, if you have the 'wrong' seat none of this is going to help you!

Regards, George 

i popped into Leighton's today - Andy is going to repair / refresh my current seat unit, although he did state that it probably wasn't the original - but close.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans