Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1952 Norton ES2 plunger frame Seat Mounting

Forums
(Posted on behalf of a member) 
R.K.Leighton's have just supplied me with a new dual seat for the above model, the 1952 I understand was the first Norton plunger frame with a duel seat . My problem is that there are two special brackets that (a) at the front connect seat to the frame and (b) at the rear either connect the seat to the top of the rear suspension or to the rear mudguard and I have no idea what these brackets look like . Can you please help with either a diagram as to what they may look like or point me in the direction of where I may purchase these.

Hi Tony,

I notice you haven't had a reply to your query. I don't think Norton ever fitted a dual seat to plunger frames as standard, although it is possible dealers may have fitted them individually ex-works. I think the1952 confusion may relate to the introduction of the swinging-arm frame in late 1952 which was fitted with a dual seat as standard.

The 1955 Model 19R rigid frame was fitted with a dual seat, so this might be the best direction to go to find an "off the shelf" solution.

hi Tony

don't know whether a dual seat for plungers was specifically made but to accommodate my wife on the Irish National Rally/Assembly, I fitted a BSA A10 plunger seat, £10 from Kempton Park autojumble!. I made up two steel straps from front studs to frame lug and used a George Prew Gold Star rear seat bracket to attach to the mudguard. Sat nicely on the mudguard contour, looked good and survived 600 miles or so of mainly Irish 'motorways' IE, green- laning, two up. I have seen, and may in fact have, a seat that has two long spindles that attach somewhere near the plungers.

Dave

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans