Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1952 ES2 clutch plates

Forums

Does anyone know what is correct for the 1952 ES2 clutch plates. What I have in mine is friction plates with inside lugs and plain plates with outside lugs. I am trying to get replacement plates as I have a couple that are warped and the friction plates are very worn anyway but looking online it seems pre-59 plates for singles are listed as friction plates with outside lugs and plain plates with inside lugs.

So I guess the question is do I somehow have later clutch plates in my bike at the moment? Would the later clutch plates even fit? The clutch housing itself looks to be correct for the year as it has the pressure plate with just 3 bolts and the little mushroom type pusher to push this out.

Previously david_bell1 wrote:

Does anyone know what is correct for the 1952 ES2 clutch plates. What I have in mine is friction plates with inside lugs and plain plates with outside lugs. I am trying to get replacement plates as I have a couple that are warped and the friction plates are very worn anyway but looking online it seems pre-59 plates for singles are listed as friction plates with outside lugs and plain plates with inside lugs.

So I guess the question is do I somehow have later clutch plates in my bike at the moment? Would the later clutch plates even fit? The clutch housing itself looks to be correct for the year as it has the pressure plate with just 3 bolts and the little mushroom type pusher to push this out.

From 1957 the AMC clutch was used in conjunction with the Norton AMC gearbox. Many parts are interchangeable. Like lots of owners, I believe the later clutch is better with its bonded rear plate instead of inserts that fall out when you dismantle the clutch. The tags are indeed the other way around but that and the back plate are the main differences.

Thanks for the response. I had forgotten alll about this threadsmiley

I actually figured out I do have later clutch plates along with a later clutch basket. These things do take some figuring out though when you have no history on a bike.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans