Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1952 ES2 clutch centre and back plate

Forums

Does anyone know where you can get the centre part of a clutch for a 1952 ES2. I am sure it has a more technically correct name than the centre part so have attached a photo. The problem I have is the back plate is not running true which is leading to the clutch dragging as their is a tight spot when you manually turn it around. The back plate does not appear to be removable from the clutch centre. I have checked from the NOCshop but don't seem to seem anything.

Actually having looked a bit more on Ebay I do see some clutch centres on their own which does suggest the back plate can be seperated. Having had the cover plate off where the rubbers are though I see nothing to seperate them in there so any clues?

Attachments img_0092-jpg

I'd try Russell Motors 020 7228 1714 for the earlier type. They (Les) might be able to offer advice as to whether it can be separated. Not Friday or Monday.

Both my 1960's and 1930's books says to turn it upside down when the three nuts on the spring studs can be removed to separate back plate etc.

Thanks for that I will give them a go. The back plate seems to be very solidy attached. There are some ground down bolts on the back which look to be standard going on the various images I can find of this type of clutch. It looks like that is factory as opposed to some later mod. They certainly don't look like they could be undone and looking around I don't see anyone seeming to sell that back plate anyway even if I could seperate.

Edit: Ah reading what you said again I see you mean there are nuts at the base of the spring studs. That would make sense. I will have to have that cover plate off again and examine the base of the studs. That sounds promising. Thanks again.

Hi David, the back of those clutch hubsrun close to the inner primary cover so the nuts holding the back plate on are very shallow (and often damaged) so as to not touch. When you get that back plate off, the clutch rollers and cage will also fall off. Those plates I have seen new somewhere on the net, I can't remember where,but I have straightened them carefully on a flat steel platewith a lighthammer. Also, I have taken a light skim off in a lathe to true them up.

Also, you ask about removing the clutch shock absorber rubbers! once you remove the cover plate (held on with 3 csk screws, and the rear clutch plate, the three legged center 'spider' will be able to be pressed out. Only remove it if you want to replace the rubbers, and if you do, get yourself a tube of rubber grease to facilitate the easy re-fitting of the new inserts. (believe me, you'll need itangry)

...and one final thing, do you have a 'replacement parts catalogue' ?..... makes things so much easier when pulling these old bikes apart to see how the parts fit.

Paul

Thanks Paul. Some good info. The rubbers actually look good so I am assuming they have been changed in the not too distant past so that is one job I can avoid at this time.

I don't actually have the replacement parts catalogue. I have a Pitmans manual which is not too bad but often lacking in detail. Is the replacement parts catalogue available from the NOC? I don't see in in the shop area.

The parts book/s you require are listedin the NOC shop. Look under heading Single Cylinder, and Parts List. You will require 2 books, one to cover 1950, #SIN50, and the supplementary to cover '51 - '53. #SIN51/53.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans