Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1951 ES2 rims

Forums

I'm after some new rims and spokes for my '51 ES2. Does anyone know if they should be lined or are they plain chrome? Are they 19" WM2 front and back? And finally does anyone know a source for these?

Thanks

Andy

Hello Andy, I also have some questions about rims, butI think the rims were painted in the middle, ingray or silver with a red line on each side.

I also need 2 rims for my ES2, and found two companies, Devon Rim Company and Central Wheel Components Limited, but do not know which one is better or if there are better.

Another thing I would like to know is, the spokes were black, but they were painted, black zinc or galvanized?

Thanks

Vitor

Both front and rear rims would be 19" WM2 ,the painting of the centre rims in silver,lined in red did not take place until 1952,so I assume they were painted black lined with red,but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I have used Central Wheel Co. and Hagons to have wheels rebuilt,both with excellent results.

As for finishing the spokes black,I have no idea what method they used,at a guess I would say they were painted.

I hope this helps a little

Darren

I must say, I have only ever seen black spokes where the owner has painted them themselves on '50's Brit bikes. Ask the blokes at Central Wheel or Devon, they surely would be able to advise.

I fit stainless spokes now as they are easy to clean and don't deteriate in appearance as the plated ones do.

Paul

Thanks. I'll use stainless spokes and rims. I think it keeps a lot better than plated parts.

As for the centre, it sounds like its black with red lines. Or where they ever just left plain with no painted centre?

Previously andy_marks wrote:

Thanks. I'll use stainless spokes and rims. I think it keeps a lot better than plated parts.

As for the centre, it sounds like its black with red lines. Or where they ever just left plain with no painted centre?

Previously vitor_brito wrote:

Hello Andy, I also have some questions about rims, butI think the rims were painted in the middle, ingray or silver with a red line on each side.

I also need 2 rims for my ES2, and found two companies, Devon Rim Company and Central Wheel Components Limited, but do not know which one is better or if there are better.

Another thing I would like to know is, the spokes were black, but they were painted, black zinc or galvanized?

Thanks

Vitor

hi andy wheel rims should be wm2 chrome with silver painted centres and red lines silver centres became available in 1948 until 1952 when lack of copper put a stop to chrome and rims were painted silver all over with red lines

regards roger

I'm after some new rims and spokes for my '51 ES2. Does anyone know if they should be lined or are they plain chrome? Are they 19" WM2 front and back? And finally does anyone know a source for these?

Thanks

Andy

hi andy i checked with my wifes stepfather who gave me his 1950 es2,he had the the bike from new he said the spokes where black and centre rims painted silver with red stripe good luck maurice

Mmmm,perhaps like a lot of things,Norton used whatever paint was available or inexpensive?

BTW I was always told to use alloy rims where possible in order to keep the 'unsprung' weight as light as possible.

My brother had a pair of those stainless rims on a bike,nice but HEAVY!

Previously maurice_bunting wrote:

Thanks

Andy

hi andy i checked with my wifes stepfather who gave me his 1950 es2,he had the the bike from new he said the spokes where black and centre rims painted silver with red stripe good luck maurice

Hello Maurice, I agree, I have photos of my ES2 taken in 1950, when it was brand new and you can see this, silver in the middle and black spokes, I just would like to know if thespokes were painted or had some treatment, such as black zinc? Please see the photos.

photo img033_zps4db941b0.jpg

photo img033a_zpsd6277d6c.jpg

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans