Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1951 ES2 project

Forums

Having recently finished my 30's Inter project I appear to have been bitten by the Norton bug! I have just picked up a 1951 ES2. Plunger and tele forks so very different from my Inter, but far more complete as a starting point. It came with some tax disks from the late 60âs and a green log book so I should be able to get the original number. It is missing the exhaust pipe, silencer, one pushrod tube and has the wrong speedo. The engine doesnât turn over either so thatâs another can of worms waiting to be opened! I have attached a picture.

I have seen the exhaust and silencer on Feked and seem to be able to find most of the engine parts online. Speedoâs seem to turn up on eBay and at auto jumbles often enough, but I havenât found a source for a pushrod tube. Does anybody know where I can get one of these or a pair? News repro is fine or second hand if anyone has one.

I am also on the lookout for any parts books, manuals or even just pictures. Unfortunately this project has to go on the back burner for a while but I will start gathering parts as and when they become available and get on with the research.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Attachments kgrhqr-ngfhpfcbju3br8ytydeiw-60_12-jpg

Post a picture and dimensions of the one you have, and I'll compare it to what I've got, I'm sure others will too.

Hey Andy

,Mike Pemberton of 'Pushrod Performance' does nice copper pushrod tubes,these should nickel or chrome plate nicely,there is somebody else does Stainless steel ones,perhaps RGM or Molnar??GOOGLE!

HTH,Darren

Upon closer inspection of the tube I do have it is quite dented and not in good condition at all so I am looking for two. Thanks for the offer Niall but I think I'll got with what Darren suggested and look into some new ones.

For anyone else looking, it's RGM that do the stainless ones. I haven't ordered them yet but will do when I come to start work on the engine.

Now that I have had a good look at the bike itself and the 1950 parts book (couldn't find a '51 book so hopefully there aren't too many differences!) there are one or two other questions I have, so rather than start a new thread I'll add them to this one.

Is it supposed to be a T shaped battery on this? Or the standard square one? The bracket on it doesnât look original so not sure what I should be after?

Iâm looking for an exhaust pipe. I have emailed the NOC this evening but they donât list them so failing this does anyone else know of a source? Feked are out of stock, Iâve seen some very cheap ones (too cheap) that look awful and the only good one I've seen is from Austria, would rather get it in the UK.

I have the wrong speedo on it (in KPH), is it a 120mph smiths Iâm looking for?

Finally does anyone have a picture of the LEFT HAND SIDE of a plunger ES2 with lay down gearbox? I found this with my last project, 99% of pictures on the 'net seem to be of the right hand side and I find pictures a great source for getting an idea of how it should go together. Why do we always take pictures of this side of the bike? Iâm as guilty, most of the pictures I have of my bikes are of the right!

Sorry to bombard everyone with questions, and Iâm sure there will be some more once it comes to bits.

Thanks

Andy

I don't think there was a parts book for 1951, only a small supplementary in the back of the 1950 parts book. The parts bookshows an 80MPH speedo, but when I researched this, I found some had 120MPH ones fitted while others had 80MPH.

Paul

For exhaust - have you triedArmours? The pipes they recently supplied me with for my prewar 16H are a perfect fit, heavy gaugeand extremely good quality chrome finish, and well packaged. Too early to know how long they will last of course.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans