Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1951 ES2 header pipe support bracket and clip

Forums

My 51 ES2 came with a support bracket and clip on the header pipe that mounts on an extension of the bolt passing through the front engine plate cover to the prop stand. The end of this bolt is formed into an eyelet. The bolt for the clip passes through this eyelet. See photos.

The "eyelet" bolt appears "original" . The rest has been bodged from whatever parts were on hand.

I've assumed that a special Norton bolt is missing but yesterday I saw a 1956 swing arm ES2 that has no support bracket at all !

My Norton 1950 Spare Parts List does not show that part.

That said, going through Andy's Bikes archives I see rigid & spring-frame bikes with this eyebolt-clip setup. Unfortunately the photos are not closeups.

I see lots more bikes with no eyebolt and no clip...or with the eyebolt but no clip. (all the swing arm models seem to be "support free")

I believe the eyebolt is "correct" and over the years the missing clips just rusted away.

So....my point:

If the "correct" plunger frame setup uses this clip support then what is the correct fitting ? What part am I missing ?

Could somebody out there has a complete one on their ES2 or model 18 could you kindly post a photo please ?

Thanks !!

Grant MacNeill, Toronto

Attachments IMG_3356.JPG img_3353-jpg

I stand to be corrected on this but I thought that setup was only used on side valves as the pipe was a push in fit in the barrel. John

Previously John Tickell wrote:

I stand to be corrected on this but I thought that setup was only used on side valves as the pipe was a push in fit in the barrel. John

Hi John, a quick search of Andy's Bikes archives I find 7 examples of 1948 to 1952 roughly in ES2 and model 18 with this setup. Possibly it was an aftermarket addition but sure looks "original". Grant

Previously grant_macneill wrote:

My 51 ES2 came with a support bracket and clip on the header pipe that mounts on an extension of the bolt passing through the front engine plate cover to the prop stand. The end of this bolt is formed into an eyelet. The bolt for the clip passes through this eyelet. See photos.

The "eyelet" bolt appears "original" . The rest has been bodged from whatever parts were on hand.

I've assumed that a special Norton bolt is missing but yesterday I saw a 1956 swing arm ES2 that has no support bracket at all !

That said, going through Andy's Bikes archives I see rigid & spring-frame bikes with this eyebolt-clip setup. Unfortunately the photos are not closeups.

I see lots more bikes with no eyebolt and no clip...or with the eyebolt but no clip. (all the swing arm models seem to be "support free")

I believe the eyebolt is "correct" and over the years the missing clips just rusted away.

So....my point:

If the "correct" plunger frame setup uses this clip support then what is the correct fitting ? What part am I missing ?

Could somebody out there has a complete one on their ES2 or model 18 could you kindly post a photo please ?

Thanks !!

Grant MacNeill, Toronto

Hi Grant,

My 1951 ES-2 has exactly the same set up.

regards, Ian

Hi Grant, the header pipe should have a wrap around style clip, the tightening bolt holes which then line up with the end hole in the long engine mount/side stand base holding bolt, which you have.

Unless any new header pipe is bent up exactly as original, the clip will not line up with the mounting bolt, as appears in your photograph. Mine didn't either,so I made a short bridgeing piece to cover the gap.

Paul.

Previously ian_richtsteig wrote:

So....my point:

Thanks !!

Grant MacNeill, Toronto

Hi Grant,

regards, Ian

Thanks Ian...if you find the time, could you send me a photo please

regards, Grant

Hi Grant - my Spares List for the 1950 ES2 shows a clip-on bracket with an eyelet as you describe. The part no. is E3/168 (item H45 on exploded diagram). It appears to be fitted to a long bolt designated "exhaust pipe attachment bolt" part no.E3238. I have a 1954 ES2 which also has a supprt at that point albeit a previous owner has "sustomised" it smewhat.

George

So....my point:

Thanks !!

Grant MacNeill, Toronto

Hi Grant,

The extended bolt looks right and should bolt direct to the clamp on the exhaust pipe. I think the biggest problem is the exhaust pipe shape as there were different shapes over the years and applications for other models i.e. Inters, Model 19 etc. There is also the aftermarket situation which might fit an ES2but is not the original shape as supplied to the Norton factory. Regards, Richard.

Previously ian_goodhall wrote:

My bike is a 1955 swinging arm ES2 so not exactly the same but this is the bracket on mine. No idea how original it might be but most other bits are original.

Ian

Thanks Ian. I gather that the sightline from the side of the bike that the bracket/clamping clip lines up directly with the bolt whereas mine is off set by an inch or more plus I have a clip that centers on the pipe rather than centers on the edge of the pipe.

I am putting way to much energy into this minor point (grin) compared to all of the other issues my bike has but that said, now i know the mounting is genuine I'll wait until the right part comes along

thanks for that photo. very helpful

Grant

Previously richard_cornish wrote:

So....my point:

Thanks !!

Grant MacNeill, Toronto

Hi Grant,

The extended bolt looks right and should bolt direct to the clamp on the exhaust pipe. I think the biggest problem is the exhaust pipe shape as there were different shapes over the years and applications for other models i.e. Inters, Model 19 etc. There is also the aftermarket situation which might fit an ES2but is not the original shape as supplied to the Norton factory. Regards, Richard.

thanks Richard, I got this header from a frustrated swing arm ES2 owner in Florida who was thrilled to find a buyer. Did not come close to fitting his bike. My theory is that this might be the plunger frame ES2/ rigid model 18 version of the header. Its a good fit...more or less. I've been staring at it and it does not leave the exaust manifold at a perfect right angle. I'm considering shortening the pipe slightly where it enters the silencer so it will swing around further and possibly line up perfectly with the extended bolt. My header clamp is definitly the wrong clamp too so I'll have to hunt around. Just add that to the huge list of things I'll be hunting for this winter.

Drove the ES2 to work today so I'm focusing on enjoying it until the snow flies.

thanks for confirming that the extended bolt is historically correct...Grant

My wife thinks I'm an idiot for worrying about these kinds of things. (grin). But she only recently noticed that I have a Norton among the bikes I drive so we are definitly not tuned to the same channel.

Previously ian_richtsteig wrote:

So....my point:

Thanks !!

Grant MacNeill, Toronto

Hi Grant,

regards, Ian

Thanks Ian...if you find the time, could you send me a photo please

regards, Grant

Hi Grant, Sorry for delayed response but went straight to hospital next day for shoulder reconstruction. Just managed to move bikes around yeaterday for the first time so here's some photos of my arrangement. Missing riding in the Downunder sunshine at the moment. I've owned the bike for 20years and think that the arrangement I have allows for a slight variance in the exhaust pipe bend. Others would be similar.

regards Ian

Attachments 100_5229.JPG 100_5230.JPG technical1-

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans