Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1951 ES2 finished but oily!

Forums

As mentioned in other threads I have got my ES2 up and running and done about 300 miles on it with no derious problems so far. The main issue that I want to overcome at the moment is the oil leak from the rocker box. It is covering the back of the bike in oil and I am having to top up the tank too often for my liking (I know I need to do it a bit but this appears to be excesive).

Can people make suggestions on how to seal the joint? I made gaskets and used gasket sealant but that doesnt appear to have done it. Any other ideas? Or just have another go?

Other than this I am very happy with the bike, it's not got as much grunt going up the hills as I hoped for, but I may be aiming too high after getting used to my International.

I've attached a pic of the bike in it's finished state

Andy

Attachments sam_1135-copy-jpg

There are two ways:

Method 1

Of course make sure the mating surfaces are clean and free of crud.

Then take a new gasket and give it a thick coating on both sides with Stag Wellseal.

Hang your saturated gasket up over night to go all lovely and tacky and gooey - the gasket will swell as it soaks up the Wellseal.

Method 2

Take the paper gasket and throw it away, because on the rocker box they always seem to fit badly anyway!

Thoroughy clean both mating surfaces - actually when I stripped my engine down, I put some grinding paste on a piece of glass and flatted them off (both sides) ...well worth doing, as there was a little bit of 'rock' in them beforehand which could have manifested later on as an oil leak. I got them vapour blasted after, so that got rid of all the residual grinding paste that went everywhere.

When it came to sealing, I used Grey Loctite 5699. It is high temperature, stays flexible and is really nice to use.

The fact it is the right colour is a major plus in my book... there's nothing worse than oodles of red or blue sealant splurged everywhere on an otherwise nice bike!

The rocker box never had a gasket, according to the literature I've read,so I have never fitted one. A thin bead of sealer (I use Loctite Master Gasket 510 or 515 ) is all that is required. Make sure you de-grease the mating surfaces with metholated spirit. The only leak I have had from that area is the de-comp shaft, which I fitted an 'O ' ring to, to fix. Apart from the adviceprevious, re flattening the box surface, when installing the front and back 1/4"hold down bolts, the ones with the through drilled holes in head, put some sealer on the threads.

If you wash off the oil, then go for a short run, I think you should be able to see from where the oil is starting to come from.....Check the oil line banjo for cracks in joint.

Paul

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans