Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1951 ES-2 rear chain guard

Forums

I am hoping that a photo of an original rear chainguard for a 1951 ES-2  could be posted please.

I have noticed that the illustration in the 1951 parts book is very different to the 1951 sales catalogue. The  sales catalogues were often artists impressions of what the new model would look like and were  generally printed before the model was put into production.

My 1951 ES-2 has the rear chain guard like the one shown in the 1949 Model 7 parts book and I would like to find and fit the correct chain guard.

Hello Ian, My 1951 ES 2 has the chain guard you see on page 60, plate T. item #19, part #E2/497.

The parts list says that this guard is for models 1, 16H AND 18 ...but another 1951 ES2 owner who was original owner of the bike, never modified, kindly sent me photos and his chain guard seems to match mine.

I will send along photos tomorrow once I have daylight

I agree that the artists who illustrated the catalogues were impressions only.  And photos from images on Google are beautifully restored bikes that often are not correct to period.  I've had some help by looking through the old archived photos of sold bikes on Andy-we-buy-bikes web site.  You must take very photo you see with a grain of salt and make your best estimate of what would have been correct on the week they assembled your bike in 1951.  Back in the 50s and 60s these guys were just trying to keep their bike on the road so they could get to work and originality was not an issue at all.

if you wish,  email me at the shop and I'll send along the photos of both my bike and the unadulterated 1951 ES2 that was built a week before mine.

Grant MacNeill,  The Twelfth Fret Guitar Shop, Toronto,  Sales@12fret.com

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans