Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1950 ES2

Forums

hi there, iv been given a norton es2 from my 90 year old stepfather,it has lots of paper work and even some petrol coupons, matching nos etc,the seat is a dual seat any ideas where i can get the original solo seats

any help would be great, as iv never had a bike this old .

many thanks maurice

Previously maurice_bunting wrote:

hi there, iv been given a norton es2 from my 90 year old stepfather,it has lots of paper work and even some petrol coupons, matching nos etc,the seat is a dual seat any ideas where i can get the original solo seats

any help would be great, as iv never had a bike this old .

many thanks maurice

Hi Maurice,

I am restoring a 1953 ES2 for which I require an original dual seat and I would be happy to purchase yours if it is the correct one and you wish to sell it. Let me know.

Kind Regards and good luck,

Paul.

hi paul im just in the process of having a go at the bike and im looking to putting the original seat back on , when i get to the seat id be glad to sort something out, ill ask the stepfather if its an original norton one.

iv had a moto guzzi for 35 years so iv never tackled an old brit bike since my gold star in the 60s, but its all coming back slowly i forgot how easy/simple they are. will keep in touch regads maurice

roadholder forks help!! hi i am new to the club & havnt quite got the hang of writing like this before ,i have a 1950 es2 i firstly would like to know what forks i have long or short roadholders & how do i tell the diff ,because i have a prob when i lift the bike on the main stand,the bottom & top shrouds just come apart by about 1/4 of an inch & you can see the spring,i have them apart but cannot find anything wrong,can any one please help.also what is the ign timming before tdc & is adj on full advance many thanks here's hopeing,& regards steve.

Previously stephen_kinnard wrote:

roadholder forks help!! hi i am new to the club & havnt quite got the hang of writing like this before ,i have a 1950 es2 i firstly would like to know what forks i have long or short roadholders & how do i tell the diff ,because i have a prob when i lift the bike on the main stand,the bottom & top shrouds just come apart by about 1/4 of an inch & you can see the spring,i have them apart but cannot find anything wrong,can any one please help.also what is the ign timming before tdc & is adj on full advance many thanks here's hopeing,& regards steve.

Hi Steve,

A 1950 ES-2 has long roadholders. These have the springs fitted outside the staunctions and no damper rod screwing into the top filler plugs.

Time on full advance at about 5/8" before top dead centre on compression stroke. Check for pinging under load on hills and if necessary retard slightly to about 9/16". Modern fuels now mean slightly retarded ignition from original factory settings.

regards,Ian

This may seem a simple question, but is the difference between long and short road holders limited to the length? I've just bought a 1951 ES2 which I'm pretty sure will have the long ones, but I'm only seeing adverts for parts for the short road holders... The bike is pretty worn so I suspect some new bushes and oil seals will be in order if nothing else. Are parts like this interchangeable?

My new project is also missing pushrod tubes if anyone knows of a source. I'll post some pictures after I've collected it tomorrow!

Previously ian_richtsteig wrote:

Hi Steve,

A 1950 ES-2 has long roadholders. These have the springs fitted outside the staunctions and no damper rod screwing into the top filler plugs.

Time on full advance at about 5/8" before top dead centre on compression stroke. Check for pinging under load on hills and if necessary retard slightly to about 9/16". Modern fuels now mean slightly retarded ignition from original factory settings.

regards,Ian

hi Ian many thanks for the info on the forks & timming a great help.just got to find why they part the shrouds in the middle when its on the stand,may be the wrong lenght shrouds !,i dont suppose you would know the length of the top & bottom shrouds for my 1950 es2,

again many thanks & regards steve.

Previously ian_richtsteig wrote:

Hi Steve,

regards,Ian

hi Ian many thanks for the info on the forks & timming a great help.just got to find why they part the shrouds in the middle when its on the stand,may be the wrong lenght shrouds !,i dont suppose you would know the length of the top & bottom shrouds for my 1950 es2,

again many thanks & regards steve

Hi Steve,

When my 1952 ES-2 is on the centre stand, the top of the chromed lower shroud is still hidden by the top shroud.

Dimensions of the chromed lower shrouds are:

Length: 6.063 inches (or 154mm)

Outer Diameter: 2.2285 inches

Inner Diameter: 2.1810 inches.

I'll check the outer top shrouds tomorrow and advise.

The outer top painted shroud has the following dimensions:

Length: 6.2205" (or 158mm)

Outer diameter: 2.50"

regards, Ian

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans