Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1949 ES2 dynamo?

Forums

Can I pick someone's brain regarding dynamos?

I not convinced mine is charging properly so; I've bridged terminals F & D and passed the output to Earth via a bulb, blipped the throttle and the bulb goes DIM rather than brighter/popping as expected ... any ideas before I start looking at the commutator and brushes?

TIA

Ian

Previously ian_richards wrote:

I not convinced mine is charging properly so; I've bridged terminals F & D and passed the output to Earth via a bulb, blipped the throttle and the bulb goes DIM rather than brighter/popping as expected ... any ideas before I start looking at the commutator and brushes?

TIA

Ian

While you have the F & D bridged, connect a mulitmeter, set on volts, between the bridged wire and earth and check voltage. Volts should rise with revs.

I have tested with an analogue multimeter and the readings rose with revs to about 6 volts and then start to drop as the revs increase.Mmmmm?????Previously ian_richtsteig wrote:

TIA

Ian

While you have the F & D bridged, connect a mulitmeter, set on volts, between the bridged wire and earth and check voltage. Volts should rise with revs.

Sounds to me as if the brushes are bouncing on the commutator as the revs rise.

Have you checked the condition of the brushes and/or the springs?

Yep, done that today and they look fine.I cleaned the brushes and the commutator to no avail.The springs looked fine as well.Mmmmm?Previously michael_sullivan wrote:

Sounds to me as if the brushes are bouncing on the commutator as the revs rise.

Have you checked the condition of the brushes and/or the springs?

Without getting out my books, I think that this might imply a duff field coil. Fairly easily checked if you measure the resistance. But I would need to go delving to confirm this.

Previously gordon_johnston wrote:

Without getting out my books, I think that this might imply a duff field coil. Fairly easily checked if you measure the resistance. But I would need to go delving to confirm this.

I have just checked the field coils using my multimeter.the minimum scale of which is 2000 ohms.This shows an resistance of 1 ohms in the wires.The reading between the F terminal and the dynamo casing reads 4 ohms, therefore showing a resistance reading of 3 ohms.This of course would be more accurate if my multimeter had a lower ohms scale.The dynamo in question is a E3LM -L-0 which had previously been rewound to produce 12 volts

Previously gordon_johnston wrote:

I have just checked the field coils using my multimeter.the minimum scale of which is 2000 ohms.This shows an resistance of 1 ohms in the wires.The reading between the F terminal and the dynamo casing reads 4 ohms, therefore showing a resistance reading of 3 ohms.This of course would be more accurate if my multimeter had a lower ohms scale.The dynamo in question is a E3LM -L-0 which had previously been rewound to produce 12 voltsThe resistance of a 12V field coil should be about 5.6 ohms,you will find that the resistance of new field coils (6 & 12 v)that are now avalible is different then the Lucas originals,that is way i rewind my own.You could have a fault on the armature and you will need a growler to check it.If you want me to check your armature i will free of charge you just need to pay for the postage.Paul Wolf Magneto & Dynamo Repairs.Tel:0117 9836702

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans