Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1948 Model 18 stop/start problem

Forums

Can somebody please shed at least a bit of light on my 1948 Model 18 that start like a train,runs great for 2-3 miles then just dies only to restartand do the same again?

The bike has had new points, a new complete carb last weekend, new plug after new plugand lead, hadfitted a fully rebuilt mag with a spark that would please the Gods when its checked static! The fuel tank is clear, the lines I made new last weekend and the taps are clear. The carb float works fine ( well it should at £278 a pop for a carb!)

The timing is correct 5/8 BTDC fully advanced, points just opening. The tappet clearances are correct, just free to turn cold.

The bike has been completely rebuilt and although the engine is basically new I believe it is not seizing as it would not turn over so quickly after stopping. In desperation Ihave changed the oil today and added some oil supplement to aid wear and add lubrication to new engines but to no avail.

All I can think it is now is poor magnets in the mag and when hot they are breaking down but that is a wild guess as it starts so quick after stopping. Possibly the wrong plug but again a guess as it seems to fit the criteria of being the correct plug (short stem) or should it be a long stem???

Any ideas solutions will be gratefully received before I loose the plot completely.

Sounds like blocked petrol filler cap breather hole. Try a pin through the tiny hole.

If it re-starts when hot it isn't likely to be the mag.

It sounds like the petrol tank filler cap has either got a blocked airway or if new it may be the cap is one of those without an airhole.

Sounds simple but I had the same issue after a rebuild.

Good luck Iain

Previously iain_murdoch wrote:

It sounds like the petrol tank filler cap has either got a blocked airway or if new it may be the cap is one of those without an airhole.

Good luck Iain

Hi,

I have tried that even drilled the hole out to 1mm and run with the fuel cap open but it still does it.

Previously carl_sanders wrote:

Good luck Iain

Hi,

I have tried that even drilled the hole out to 1mm and run with the fuel cap open but it still does it.

Have you pulled your petcock and cleaned your screens?

Previously michael_sullivan wrote:

Good luck Iain

Hi,

I have cleaned the main and on the reserve I have removed the screen completely to just try but that did not work either

when I have both open

Previously michael_sullivan wrote:

Good luck Iain

Hi,

I have cleaned the main and on the reserve I have removed the screen completely to just try but that did not work either

when I have both open

Is your petcock one of the Euwart (sp?) type or something else? Have you taken the petcock apart to see if there is an obstruction in the internal passages? Also, have you tried draining the fuel into a can 5 or 10 minutes to see if the flow rate changes to a dribble?

I had a similar problem with my rebuild engine. I eventually worked out it was due to Ethanol in the fuelgunging up the carb. The float and needle were both sticking and cutting off the fuel supply. The solution was Ethanol proof carb bits.

But..........don't ignore other possibilities such as sticking valves, partially seizing pistonsor a magneto failing when warm/hot. Some plugs also fail once they get hot. I would be very tempted to put back some of the old ignition gear so as to rule this out. eg a used plug kept as a spare.

OK. I note that you have fitted a new carburettor, I have read about problems with new units having a few problems with sharp edges or burrssnagging float needles, momentarily stopping the fuel flow to the bowl. I know this sometimes happens to the Monobloc series 3 carbys, but I presume you have the correct type 276 fitted. I think to eliminate the carburettor, I would remove the small blanking screw in the bowl banjo and let the petrol run, just to see if there is an uninterrupted flow.

Also, I like the suggestion from Phil (above) that a valve could be a bit tight in the guide, preventing it from fully closing when hot. As this happens, you may hear the valve train getting a bit noisier as the engine stops firing?

Paul

Further to Paul's suggestion - I have just had problems with getting my prewar 16H. It would die on small throttle without full air slide. Pilot air passages were partly blocked - they look so small as to be almost insignificant and adjusting the pilot air screw has very little effect - but cleaning it from debris made a huge difference. So maybe some swarf lying about? I had to dismantle to remove the inner jet block.

It could well be a valve sticking in a guide when warm. I had asimilar problem on an iron-head BSA after a top-end rebuild. The exhaust guide in particular needs a bit of clearance. I gave the BSA 3 thou and it has been fine ever since. Is your compression OK when it stops. It there a click when you kick it over after it stops?

Thanks everyone

Tonight I had it running in gear on its stand for about an hour till it died. I quickly shut off the fuel and checked the bowl...it was full so not that. I changed the plug and it re started fine....... very strange! The compression is not an issue as she would break your leg if you let it.

I have ordered 6 new plugs and a length of lead tonight.

I will clean out the carb and check the screw tomorrow. Also will give the exhaust 3 thou

That's .003" clearance between the valve and the guide, not the valve (tappet) clearance. The same thing happened to a friend's Thruxton. Unexpected engine stop when hot, re-started OK. It was a valve too tight in its guide.

Finally solved it after nearly taking the bike to pieces and having seizures.

Some idiot who rebuilt the mag had used the wrong capacitors (cheap Chinese ones) and they could not handle the power, heated up and broke down. Once they cooled the bike would re start and repeat the cycle.

I have now found a guy that is absolutely spot on and knows his onions. He is rebuilding the mag from scratch.

Thanks to you all for the help.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans