Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1948 Model 18 Clutch Adjust

Forums

This should be straightforward but neither of the 'Maintenance and Instruction' manuals I have say anything about clutch adjustment.  I am familiar with Burman, AMC, Triumph and Commando clutches but I am not sure what I am dealing with here.  It looks as though I need to remove the plate below the gear pedal spindle but would like to know more before doing that.

Yes, remove the plate - you'll find the clutch operating lever inside with the cable attached. Slacken the cable right off and slacken the pinch bolt holding the lever to the scrolled clutch actuating spindle. Now use a screwdriver to turn the spindle clockwise till it stops (taking up the play in the pushrod and the clutch operating mushroom). Push the lever down so that it is at an acute angle to the spindle and the cable is close to taut.Then tighten the clamp bolt up and finally adjust the cable. Hopefully the clutch will be fully raised when the handlebar lever is pulled in and the scroll lever is at right angles to the cable.

At least that's the way I do it - others may have different techniques. Unlike Commandos etc there is no adjuster in the middle of the clutch plate.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans