Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1948 International - should numbers match?

Forums

Hi all, I've been trying to find my way around the forums but having no luck finding any search function, is there one?

Anyway, my husband has a 1948 Norton project that he's trying to figure out which way to go with, and one thing that is bothering him is the Engine and frame numbers don't match. I know this is normal on some marques and models, but we're new to the Norton family, so completely ignorant as to how they numbered these things.

Anyway, frame # is 13166, Engine # C11 14823 1948

Thanks in advance for any help, and apoligies if I'm making you answer a stupid newbie question that everyone asks!

After WW2 the numbers matched when leaving the factory. According to Bacon's 'Norton Singles' your engine number is correct for 1948, with C11 for Model 30. The frame number would be 1947. But if it was ever raced, who knows what swaps were made? If I were him I'd put it together and enjoy it.

Thanks so much! Yes, he'll be put back together and enjoyed...hopefully in a few years. Unfortunately the Triumph, Matchless and Velocette projects are in front of the Norton.

Hi.

Make sure you're looking at the frame number - not a casting number - it should be on the lower front engine/frame mount on the 'drive' side. It should be preceded by C11 and be the same font and size as that on the crankcases (see photo FrNo1). My manx also has it's number stamped on the top of one of the plunger mounts, very haphazardly,presumably from when it was sent back to the factory for repair.

Regards, Ian.

Regards,

Ian.

Attachments frno1-jpg

Here's a pic of the second 'frame number ' on the L/H plunger mount. Incidentally, my frame hadsix cracks in it, three along the R/H top plunger sub-frame and three in the engine cradle!

Worth checking?!?!

Ian.

Attachments frno2-jpg

Thanks Ian, I'll have to go out and look. Can't remember where the number is on the frame, my husband just mentioned it was upside-down, but from your description and photos, I'm not exactly sure what he's talking about.

The frame is very tidy, fortunately, and appears to be in nice condition, but now we'll definitely look more closely before we begin any assembly!

Previously michael_falcioni wrote:

Thanks Ian, I'll have to go out and look. Can't remember where the number is on the frame, my husband just mentioned it was upside-down, but from your description and photos, I'm not exactly sure what he's talking about.

The frame is very tidy, fortunately, and appears to be in nice condition, but now we'll definitely look more closely before we begin any assembly!

This may not be the frame number.... Is it on the lug that forms junction between "seat"down tube and top tube? Because that's where it is on my Manx engined Inter, also upside down.....

Attachments image-jpg

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans