Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1947 ES2 piston

Forums

Hi all,

a friend has asked me to order him a +60 piston & rings for his '47 ES2. When searching I find some companys only list for '56-'59 model years, part number 13346 Hepolite cross ref.

Some vendors dont list years at all, they just list 500cc singles, ES2 & M18.

Do I need to look for a pre '56 piston type, or will all 500cc Norton ES2 & M18 pistons work?

Thank you

Skip Brolund

Hi.

WhenI first got my 1960 ES2 it had an earlier cast iron head and barrel with a later piston so there shouldn't be any problem (the later bikes still had iron barrels but with larger fins).. The earlier pistons might have a 1/8'' oil control ring as opposed to 3/16'' so make sure that your piston comes with the right rings.

Regards,

Ian.

Hi

I have a 1938 ES2 which (should be) the same engine. I bought an ES2 piston last year. It said for all models but I think it is for the post '47 engines. The compression height, valve pockets etc were all OK, however the pre '48 engines have larger diameter crank flywheels. This means that the skirt catches the flywheels before the piston reached bottom dead centre. Fortunately I had an original piston to compare!

I overcame this by measuring and machining a radius on the piston skirt sides to match the crank flywheels (plus some clearance). This leaves the front and back of the piston full length so running piston to cylinder clearances are not effected (I had already had the cylinder rebored before I noticed the problem).

Regards

Colin

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans