Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1940 16H kickstart

Forums

Anyone out there any idea of the part number or where on earth I can get a kickstart lever (fixed) for my 1940 16H with a dollshead gearbox?

Have tried searching on here and found it one of the most difficult and frustrating things ever attempted in t'internet (and I'm below 50 and computer literate......)

Many thanks

Patrick Fielder

hi patrick

e bay is a good place to look i have brought a couple recently

what is wrong with your kick start lever

regards roger

Hi Roger,

Mine has actually snapped through the side of the splined large hole!

I have had a look on ebay and they are all different to mine, mine has a tapered cotter pin through it (like an old bicycle crank) rather than a pinch bolt at the lower section.

Might have to look harder :)

Any chance of you copying and pasting a link to the ones you have bought into reply please?

Thanks for the input.

Previously roger_deadman wrote:

hi patrick

regards roger

Norton 'Dollshead' boxes always used a splined kickstart shaft with a pinchbolt lever. The use of a cotter-pin fixing sounds BSA or Burman ? It must have been quite a major operation to convert it.

Norton kickstart levers of this period do turn up surprisingly often but there are small variations in length and off-set which won't compromise function in most cases.

Any chance of some photographs of the outside of your box ? The 'catastrophic' failure suggests that original might be best in this case.

Previously patrick_fielder wrote:

Hi Roger,

Mine has actually snapped through the side of the splined large hole!

I have had a look on ebay and they are all different to mine, mine has a tapered cotter pin through it (like an old bicycle crank) rather than a pinch bolt at the lower section.

Might have to look harder :)

Any chance of you copying and pasting a link to the ones you have bought into reply please?

Thanks for the input.

Previously roger_deadman wrote:

hi patrick

regards roger

Hi Patrick,

A photo would be good. Pre 1931 Norton Sturmey Archergearboxes also had cotter pins fitted to the kickstarter. The later ones would also fit a 1930's typeframe.

regards,

Ian

Sorry, have been away and offline for a while! Thanks for the replies, will try and get a couple of pics to post on here.

Have decided to bite the bullet and order one from here, which I think should fit OK, but might look a bit out of character as my bike is in, ahem, oily rag condition :)

http://www.racingnorton.co.uk/shop/article_0298%2520A2%252F360/Norton-International-Kick-Starter-Lever.html?sessid=bn9VXGR1ZTzHdcNuiVk8v3lFsbdhAgjdvqO6zX7y8qBWXh7LveOrZuKgz0KoTH0d&shop_param=cid%3D44%26aid%3D0298%2520A2%252F360%26

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans