Skip to main content

1939 ES2 clutch

Forums

Hi

I want to rebuilt my clutch from my es2 1939.

The model without the adjuster screw.

A friend told me that it is better with a bonded rear plate instead of inserts that fall out when you dismantle the clutch.Who has experience with this kind of clutch, what is the best way to do the rebuilt?

And where can I buy these discs(quality). See there are a lot, and a lot of different types for sale on the net but hear also a lot of people complaining about bad quality.

Thank you

Kinds regards

Dirk

Attachments 20150727_132255-noc-jpg

Dirk, what is your budget ? Andover Norton sell complete late Dominator / Atlas clutches featuring the bonded back plate and these should be trouble-free. I've used a second-hand late type drum and back plate on my 16H combined with plates from Ken McIntosh together with his matched springs. The result is light and progressive with no sign of slip or drag.

The only issues are that the later back plate is a little thicker and the fit can be a bit tight in the pre-war chaincase. I had to take a skim across mine to ensure clearance. It's nothing drastic though and may not apply with all cases.

The new type bonded plates are available from the NOC spares schemeItem code: SS04 C2_A2/393£12.95 each, the steel plates are also available for £5.85. You shouldn't need to replace the clutch drum unless it's damaged.

I want a good clutch for a good price. But i pay rather more for a good clutch than buy two times.

In my clutch are no skims...

There are a few plates that are thin (inserts) and backlash on the drum.

Its my first english bike so i dont know what is normal but when i compare with the others its a lot seems to me.

regards

Dirk

Previously richard_payne wrote:

Dirk, what is your budget ? Andover Norton sell complete late Dominator / Atlas clutches featuring the bonded back plate and these should be trouble-free. I've used a second-hand late type drum and back plate on my 16H combined with plates from Ken McIntosh together with his matched springs. The result is light and progressive with no sign of slip or drag.

The only issues are that the later back plate is a little thicker and the fit can be a bit tight in the pre-war chaincase. I had to take a skim across mine to ensure clearance. It's nothing drastic though and may not apply with all cases.

Hi i have a 1939 ES2 and used Russell's motors, London for clutch parts, which I changed only a couple months ago. Ask for Les, good luck

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans