Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1938 Model 50 clutch adjustment

Forums

I have lots of trouble adjusting my clutch so it does not drag. I have set the clutch arm so that is just backed off a tad when the clutch is out. The plates appear to be straight also. The last time I set the adjustment of the 3 bolts so that it just stopped dragging they caught the oil bath when it was all put together.

Any ideas what it could be?

I had a similar problem with my '35 ES2. The plates looked flat. I filed the tangs and slots in the basket to remove any ridges and put it all back together but it still dragged. So I bought a new set of plates, tightened the springs right down and it now works a treat. I would suggest a new set of steel plates.

John

Previously wrote:

Thanks John - Did you replace the friction plates also or do you think just the steel ones will do it?

I replaced the friction plates as well while I was at it, and also fitted a new primary chain.

I forgot to mention that. I had way too much endfloat on the mainshaft. The remedy is quite simple - just remove the gearbpox cover and shim up the mainshaft where it fits into the cover. I think the correct amount of endfloat is about 20 thou.

John

Previously wrote:

I forgot to mention that. I had way too much endfloat on the mainshaft. The remedy is quite simple - just remove the gearbpox cover and shim up the mainshaft where it fits into the cover. I think the correct amount of endfloat is about 20 thou.

John. Hi John ,my 51 ES2 has massive end float of 1/4 inch.how would I reduce this.I think with shims but where should the shims be placed.thanks Ian.

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

John. Hi John ,my 51 ES2 has massive end float of 1/4 inch.how would I reduce this.I think with shims but where should the shims be placed.thanks Ian.

I only have experience with the dollshead gearbox so I can't advise you on that one unfortunately.

John

John,

Could you advise where you purchased your please? I'm having trouble locating a set.

I see you are looking for a rocker shaft. One of the guy's at our VMCC branch does so light engineering and machining work if you get stuck.

Regards

gary.hawksworth@btinternet.com

Gary,

I got the clutch plates from Mick Hemmings tel 01604 638505. Thanks for the offer re the rocker shaft. Alpha bearings are hopefully making me a new one.

Cheers

John

The clutch on my 1961 Manxman used to drag. I put Ford ATF in the primary case instead of oil and that fixed it.

Going back to the Model 50 clutch problem - what is the distance between the handlebar clutch lever pivot and the cable nipple centre- the oneon my Manx with the upright gearbox is 1 &1/16"(original levers). Most pattern ones are 1" and sometimes, 7/8".

Regards.

Ian.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans