Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1938 ES2 headlight

Forums
I have a 1938 ES2 that I am restoring. The bike was incomplete with some parts in a box.The 8 inch headlamp switch panel fouls the girder fork spring as if either the headlight support brackets are too short (the clamps are the right way round!) or the shell is too deep.Are the brackets for the small headlight different from the 8 inch light. They are not shown in the parts books for the Norton or master catalogue for Lucas!I have a feeling the the shell is for the convex type MU142 rather than the flat DU142 type. Unfortunately I made the mistake of having the shell painted and the paint is too good to see any identification on the underside. (Rule 1, make sure everything fits before painting!)Before I start changing/modifying parts, is there somebody out there that could kindly measure between mounting centres of the brackets for an 8'' light? Also could somebody help with the depth measurement of a correct headlight shell (from the rear of the shell to the headlight mounting bolts).The measurements don't need to be super accurate, I am probably 1/2 to 1 inch short!Thanks

The 'legs' that support the shell on my 1937 16H are about 6 inches from the point where they emerge from the holes in the girder fork cross member to the centres of the clamp bolts at the headlight.The shell is only 3.5 inches deep but the bike has a tank top panel so it has no switch and might be shorter than yours. But there is maybe 1.5 inches between the back point of the shell and the main spring.It is an 8 inch lamp.

Hi Colin,

Atached a couple of shots of my fairly unmolested 1936 16H which should be the same as a 38 ES2. The dimensions, as near as I can measure without removing things, are marked in red. Hope this is of some help to you.

Brgds,

Pete

PS. sorry for image file duplication, the system says I have "insufficient privileges" to delete the duplicate.

Attachments Mount%20width.jpg Shell%20depth.JPG t

There have been discussions amongst owners of WD Nortons regarding the existence of different length headlamp 'prongs' for the two sizes of headlamp but all those checked to date have been identical. Unfortunately, a part number for the brackets didn't appear in the parts books until mid-war, round about the time that the change was made to the 6" lamps so it's not possible to compare and as you say, they appear neither in earlier nor Lucas literature.

Switch panels did differ to reflect the altered shell radius.

As far as I'm aware, the only difference in shells intended for flat or curved glasses is in the fitting arrangement / slot for the catches. I don't know if alternative brackets were made for shells without switch panels on the panel-tank models.

There should be a fair bit of clearance between switch panel and spring.

[IMG]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/commando16h/NOC/P1041026_zpsf7ae56ef.jpg[/IMG]

I've attempted to offer a caliper to the stay length in-situ. The photograph is not particularly convincing but as far as I can see, the support measures 4" between centres.

[IMG]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/commando16h/NOC/P1041025_zpsd65d2d9b.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks chaps for the quick response. It is greatly appreciated. I think my brackets are the same as all of yours.

i have attached a picture of my set up and dilema. I don't think the brackets are bent.

It is intersesting to note that the Lucas book of 1957 lists the flat glass unit as obsolete and refers it to the smaller headlight.

Attachments es2-headlight-jpg

Colin, it's most odd. I can't see anything obviously 'wrong' but it has less clearance than it should have.

I've just put a steel rule across the top of the ammeter, butted against the centreline of the top fork cross-tube, with the lamp set vertically and it measures 7 1/4" to the edge of the headlamp shell.

This might help in ascertaining if the problem lies with the length of the arms or the rear of the shell.

Here is a side picture of mine - apologies for poor quality - but you can see how the back of the lamp case relates to the springs.It is an 8" lamp but previous owner changed the flat glass for domed - and since I like the dome it's going to stay. It's part of the history of the bike.But no switch panel.Attachments headlight-only-jpg

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans