Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1936 works racers

Forums

I've been lucky enough to purchase a 1936 'garden gate' works racer and would be interested in hearing from anyone who may own a similar machine or know of any similar machines. Haveany others survived ?

Attachments Northumberland%202014%20183.JPG

Hi Tim,

Congratulations of the purchase of your bike, My father has standard 1936 Manx Norton which he is currently restoring, you are very fortunate to get an ex works motor. I would love to see any photographs you have of the bike. We have just restiored my fathers 1962 manx and just had a great track day geting setup for a race in two weeks time.

Regards

Chris

Attachments p1010012-copy-jpg

My 34 Inter has a '36 'Manx Spec' engine in it which was 'tuned by the factory''. It has a number of differences from a standard Inter but I'd be interested to see what the differences are to your bike. Have you got some pictures?

I belive the Manx Norton didn't appear until after the war. There where Internationals and Internationals to Manx spec. But they didn't start calling them Manxs until post war.

Andy

You are correct my mistake, I am still trying to learn all the finer details.

Previously andy_marks wrote:

My 34 Inter has a '36 'Manx Spec' engine in it which was 'tuned by the factory''. It has a number of differences from a standard Inter but I'd be interested to see what the differences are to your bike. Have you got some pictures?

I belive the Manx Norton didn't appear until after the war. There where Internationals and Internationals to Manx spec. But they didn't start calling them Manxs until post war.

Andy

It's a never ending learning curve with these bikes.

Very nice looking bike Tim. I restored my Inter to use on the road and have done just over 1000 miles on it since finishing it about this time last year. What do you intend to do with your new toy? Is it up and running?

Andy

Attachments small-gate-jpg

Hi Andy and Ken

Thanks for your replies, your bikes look great.

My bike has been in the same ownership for the last 48 years and has always been known as the practise bike for the 1936 senior TT. It has some subtle differances to other 1936 machines I have seen pictures of and this leads me to believe it may be the prototype spring frame ( it even has a period crack in the front tube !!). The engine is a later unit, as with so many race bikes. It has never been road legal so when I've restored it I intend to use if for parades. It is a runner and was at Brands earlier in the year.

Has anyone seen any other bikes with this type of frame ? I would like to see them in the flesh if any have survived.

Previously tim_reynolds wrote:

I've been lucky enough to purchase a 1936 'garden gate' works racer and would be interested in hearing from anyone who may own a similar machine or know of any similar machines. Haveany others survived ?

We my father had a similar one from new but He did not get to ride it, as he was working for Green's Boilers and engineering and riding around the country on a BSA Sloper 500 with panniers fitted, it was this bike that spent its time in a the window of Parkinson motorcycle show room at Ings road Wakefield , yes Dennis Parkinson Motorcycle show room and garage , He bought this bike back to race in the TT after the war,

so where this bike is now , I no idea , so motorcycling as always been in our family's blood even my sister is in to modern motorcycles , I love my old nails the old Norton's a Cut above the Rest, Yours Anna J Dixon

A mate of mine has a 38 (I think) Manx Spec Inter with plunger frame. His is off the road at the moment but next time I see him I'll ask him about it and see if he has a picture. I can't remember exactly what it looks like.

Andy

A mate of mine has a 38 (I think) Manx Spec Inter with plunger frame. His is off the road at the moment but next time I see him I'll ask him about it and see if he has a picture. I can't remember exactly what it looks like.

Andy

Hello Again Andy the difference between a Manx and a Inter is the International was built for the road and a Manx was built for racing, but there about the same bike with two different names, yours Anna J

The Manx didn't come out until after the war. Pre-war an International to Manx Spec was the race bike available to the public. After the war they brought out the Manx and the Inter became a road bike.

Andy

The Manx didn't come out until after the war. Pre-war an International to Manx Spec was the race bike available to the public. After the war they brought out the Manx and the Inter became a road bike.

Andy

well the Manx was out before the war as Harrold Daniels race one with the first type of telescopic forks on in 1938 and my fathers Manx was a 1936 model From Parkinson Ings Road Wakefield the garage owner was Bill Parkinson the father of Dennis Parkinson if you know who he was, yours anna j

Previously tim_reynolds wrote:

What a beauty, very rarely seen in this set up. The knowledge man on this type of machine is Stu Rogers (SRS Norton)for sure .... I run a 37 magnesium motor inter with race box but it is no way as exotic as this pepper pot plunger. That is a great bike!

It would be nice to just ensure it's mechanically correct and sound and keep it looking like it does now. restoring it to concours would rob it of it's originality.

I was up at the Ponderosa (Llangollen) about a month ago and saw a unrestored VW camper van covered in rust and looking like a pile of pooh along with it's similar looking owners. It didn't look roadworthy. There are plenty of gleaming examples of vintage bikes around, some better than when they were new, most never turn a wheel. I think the flat tank single that won a prize at the national rally in Devon a couple of years ago got pushed out of a van and back in again, don't think it even had a conrod and piston in itwink

Hi David

I understand what you are saying and totally agree. Some old vehicles should be 'listed' like old buildings. Unfortunalty this bike was restored probally 40 years ago and so really hasn't got any of the original finish left on it.

Its a shame but restoring it to how it left the factory seems the best option, I certainly won't be going for a show finish.

This old argument runs and runs. But the only way to keep a machine looking 'original' is not to use it - which is exactly the same as how you have to treat a fully concours machine.And as for trailering to a show - if you have a very old machine, you might well enjoy riding it about local country lanes, but it might not be much fun riding it half way across the country on roads and in traffic it was not built for. And if it is 'original' it'll soon wear out if you pile on unnecessary miles, so you might as well use it on roads you enjoy rather than run it into the ground on cross country trips. And if you are lucky enough to have more than one interesting bike, a trailer is the only way to take them. And the same goes for older owners who are no longer able to do the miles they did when they were young and fit.

Just so David. I almost totally restored my '54 Dominator 88 in 2,000, however, it was restored to ride! I admit I use a trailer, for long distances, as I can two it faster than I would ride. Also, at 77, I guess I am now in the "older rider" category!

Andy

That was my understanding too, the term "Manx" was applied after the war from what I've read.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans