Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1935 ES2 oilfeeds

Forums

Hi, I have a nice oily rag es2 but cannot find out which oil pipe goes where!!! It has one block to the rear of the timing case with two pipes soldered in. Which is the feed and which the scavenge? Cannot figure it out for the life of me!

Attachments s-l225.jpg

That junction block is certainly not from a 1935 engine - perhaps one of the post-1948 models ?

I've never owned one of this era but feed ought to be outside / top.

Looks the same as the block on my '51 ES2. As Richard says looks like a post 48 engine. I'm 95% sure the feed is the outside one but I'll go out and look at mine tomorrow morning and confirm it.

Andy

Cheers! You got me thinking there - looks like a bitsa with an younger engine! Finished it now and it looks fab even so. Here's a photo when I got it...

Attachments es2-jpg

It should be on the outside but if it's all together an easy way to check is to squirt some oil down each pipe and kick it over. One will suck and the other should blow.

Obviously the suck is the feed side which will connect to the gauze filter union on the oil tank.

Have fun.

If it's a post war engine you should be able to get the year from the engine number. The first letter gives the year. A is 1946, B is 1947 and so on...

If it is a post '48 engine then the feed is on the outside as has been said.

Previously robert_kulig wrote:

Strange no prefix but a gurt big number 4 underneath!

Thanks for everyone's interest!

Robert,

Definitely a post war engine. Not all engines had a letter especially around this year. My ES-2 is exactly the same 60012 with a 4 underneath.

regards, Ian

Certainly looks like a post '48 engine,(from what I can see of it), and if so that number would make it around the 1954 markand the topoil hole in the caseis the feed and lowerhole return to tank if that is the case. Also, the 79X100 bore and stroke stamping is missing in the photoafter the engine number, the4 indicates an ES2. Does the engine have an external oil feed pipe going up to a banjo junction onthe rocker box above the spark plug?

Yes it does! The engine sounds as sweet as a nut so no worries there! Obviously a bitsa but it looks the biz and will hopefully give me miles and miles o' smiles!

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans