Skip to main content

1935 ES2 excessive oil leakage from inlet valve

Forums

I have recently purchased a 1935 ES2. Things started of fine,then after a few weeks a slight amount of smoke was noticed from the exhaust. A small amount of oil was thrown ack onto the oil tank from the inlet valve. Now it smokes really badly after being started for a couple of minutes and only clears a very small amount when riding. The amount of oil coming out of the inlet valve now is considerable,enough to cover the front of oil tank.This is after about 25 miles.In other words things are getting much worse. I use straight 40 oil. Also when starting it often spits back through carb which is also oilly. The bike does seem to run ok,dispite this but the amount of smoke and oil is worrying. Any help or ideas would be very welcome. This is my first Brit bike for many years and I have never had a single before,only having had 1950's and 60's twins. Thanks. Nick.

Is the oil returning back to the oil tank from the oil pump?.I don't know this engine,but if it has a head oil feed then it may be the drain has blocked.The inlet valve may have become loose in the head,this could also explain poor valve seating and blowback.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans