Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1932 500 International

Forums

Hi All,

I have purchased a 1932 500 International as a restoration project and would like to know if anybody has one of these bikes or knowledge about this year. I have many questions and would like to get the bike as close as possible to original specification, the photos that I have currently seen on the internet show this model in all different setups so very difficult to the correct data.

The girders for this model seem to have a right hand brake plate, but I am not sure if they are Webb girders or the Norton type, what type of handlebar clamps are they one piece type as the ES2 or the clamp on type etc.

This bike has a clutch with no cush drive and the crank sprocket is not a cush drive either.

The engine cases and cam box have a extra stamping a symbol with three straight lines from the centre with circles stamped at each end, I will post a photo soon to se if anybody can identify.

I have only posted a few questions at this stage but it would be great if I could find somebody who has an intimate knowledge of this particular year.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy

I have a '34 inter with a '36 engine in it. My crankcases have the same symbol as you describe in it. I have been told (very recently) that it means the engine has been âthrough the race shopâ. I only have this from one source though so I am keen to investigate further and was planning on posting a question on here. I have attached a picture of my engine with the symbol. Can anyone shed any more light on this?

I know that by 1934 inters had right hand brake plates and the Norton forks fitted are also different in that the blades are parallel instead of splayed as on the other models. This also means a narrower, one piece, hub rather than the cotton real design fitted to other models. My bike is wrong in this respect. I have â39 ES2 forks fitted and a cotton real hub as this is what came with the bike. If the correct part shows up some day I may swap it over.

You should have a cush drive on either the crankshaft or the clutch. I think yours should have it on the crankshaft, but if it has some racing roots this may explain the difference.

When I bought my Inter it was missing a lot of parts and needed a lot of work doing to it. I tried to keep fairly true to what it was in the day to begin with but quickly realized that no two Inters where the same, especially when raced, as people seemed to do their own thing almost as soon as they left the factory and in many cases requests could be made to the factory for alterations to the spec. I decided to try and make mine look like a period racer but not get to hung up on every little detail.

All of what I have said here is purely from memory so no guarantees. I have several books that will have further information in them so I will have a look in them and get back to you with any more details I can find.

Good luck with the project

Andy

Attachments engine-number-jpg

Previously andy_marks wrote:

Hi Andy

I have a '34 inter with a '36 engine in it. My crankcases have the same symbol as you describe in it. I have been told (very recently) that it means the engine has been âthrough the race shopâ. I only have this from one source though so I am keen to investigate further and was planning on posting a question on here. I have attached a picture of my engine with the symbol. Can anyone shed any more light on this?

I know that by 1934 inters had right hand brake plates and the Norton forks fitted are also different in that the blades are parallel instead of splayed as on the other models. This also means a narrower, one piece, hub rather than the cotton real design fitted to other models. My bike is wrong in this respect. I have â39 ES2 forks fitted and a cotton real hub as this is what came with the bike. If the correct part shows up some day I may swap it over.

You should have a cush drive on either the crankshaft or the clutch. I think yours should have it on the crankshaft, but if it has some racing roots this may explain the difference.

When I bought my Inter it was missing a lot of parts and needed a lot of work doing to it. I tried to keep fairly true to what it was in the day to begin with but quickly realized that no two Inters where the same, especially when raced, as people seemed to do their own thing almost as soon as they left the factory and in many cases requests could be made to the factory for alterations to the spec. I decided to try and make mine look like a period racer but not get to hung up on every little detail.

All of what I have said here is purely from memory so no guarantees. I have several books that will have further information in them so I will have a look in them and get back to you with any more details I can find.

Good luck with the project

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for the reply, I also was told by the person I purchased the bike from that the engine stamping meant that it was specially prepared motor by the factory.

I agree with all your comments and I also will try to get the bike as close as possible if or when the parts become available.

I think the 1932 has the covered cotton reel hubs like my 1934 model 18, the bike has the correct wheels and I think the correct girder blades and links but the top and bottom steering yokes are incorrect, but I am not exactly sure yet what is correct. As you say the bikes seem to be different and I have looked at photos on the net and no 2 bikes are the same.

So I am reading as much info as possible and hoping people like yourself and others from the club might be able to assist, I would like to know how the bike is meant to be but that does not mean I will be able to achieve this, close enough with the parts I have will do till the correct parts appear.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy

Just to confirm what I stated the other day;

I have just had a look in Franks book and it states that in 1932 allmodels where fitted with the interchangeable wheels. It also says that all models had the same forks and doesn't mention the inter being different. (But I believe it should have an Andre damper with the anchorfixed to the top of the tank.)

It also states that all models had the spring loaded face cam type shock absorber in '32,plain engine sprockets didn't come along untill 1934.

Hope this helps

Andy

PS. Here is a link to some pictures of my bike and a list of some of the work carried out

http://www.nortonownersclub.org/noc-chat/technical1-singles-forum/705954503?b_start=0#23263868

Hi Andy

I have a '35 Inter and also have the three legged stamping on the cases and have been told many times that this means that the engine, or at least the cases!, have been through the race shop. Enjoy your Inter, they are a wonderful machine. Mine is my everyday bike and I am planning to take part in a 1400 mile in 6 days run around every town in England with the word "mouth" in it. ...Resuscitation Run ie 'mouth to mouth'. My mate and organiser Jeff, will do it on his '29 Model 18

Previously Andrew Jarrett wrote:

Hi All,

I have purchased a 1932 500 International as a restoration project and would like to know if anybody has one of these bikes or knowledge about this year. I have many questions and would like to get the bike as close as possible to original specification, the photos that I have currently seen on the internet show this model in all different setups so very difficult to the correct data.

The girders for this model seem to have a right hand brake plate, but I am not sure if they are Webb girders or the Norton type, what type of handlebar clamps are they one piece type as the ES2 or the clamp on type etc.

This bike has a clutch with no cush drive and the crank sprocket is not a cush drive either.

The engine cases and cam box have a extra stamping a symbol with three straight lines from the centre with circles stamped at each end, I will post a photo soon to se if anybody can identify.

I have only posted a few questions at this stage but it would be great if I could find somebody who has an intimate knowledge of this particular year.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Regards

Andy

Andy,

If it helps I have the original Norton illustrated spare parts book for 1932. I could photocopy this for you at the local library and send it to you. I am in Melbourne so if interested drop me a email to: richtsteig1@optusnet.com.au

regards,

Ian

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans