Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1930's seat

Forums

I am trying to restore a 1930's 16h. The seat looks odd to me. Is it supposed to look like this?

The rear brake seems to come back by itself easily. I was told that it actually needed a spring for the return. The spring is on but does not seem to work. What is the issue?

Hi Beverly,

Your seat looks like a reproduction, perhaps from India, so just made as a universal fitting. What you might need to do is fit a piece of steel strip about 1" wide x 1/8" thick and long enough to fit across the 2 bolts under the seat and drill 2 new holes closer together so the springs stand vertical. The gap between the seat and mudgaurd looks quite big, so the springs might be too long, depending how tall you are.

The brake arm will return as there are return springs inside the brake drum on the shoes. The external spring is needed to return the long and heavy brake pedal so the hook of the spring needs to be around the brake arm.

1930's is quite vague and coversTerry Saddle the period from the introduction of the rear Magdyno model to the 1939 machines with enclosed valves and right-hand front brake.

In general, a thirties civilian bike shoud have a Lycetts 'Aerolastic' saddle.

Your springs look completely wrong... These are the barrel-shaped springs on an 'as found' '39 WD 16H

In reply to by richard_payne

It is rather vague. Originally I believe was model 18. Seems to have bits from everywhere. First attempt at restoring a bike. Hard here in Vancouver as everyone is into Commandos.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans