Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Wheel offset help (1951 Big 4)

Forums

I'm looking to have my 1951 Norton Big4wheels built upin the new year, unfortunately I aquired the wheels as loose rims and hubs, the spokes had already been removed.

Therefore the questions I would like to ask is, are the rims built centrally to the hub, or are they offset one way or another, if sodoes the offset apply to both front and rear wheels? also what is the lacing pattern to both wheels? any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Hi Karl,

Sorry for slow replies - I have had great difficulty getting into the member zone for some reason. To answer your question

1)Front wheel hub to rim positions are straight edge across the brake drum edge half an inch to wheel rim with a standard WM2 rim.

2) Rear wheel (rigid frame) straight edge across hub brake drum side quarter inch to wheel rim (WM2 rim).

Hope this all makes sense - if not please give me a call

Roger 07917334214

Previously wrote:

Hi Karl,

Sorry for slow replies - I have had great difficulty getting into the member zone for some reason. To answer your question

1)Front wheel hub to rim positions are straight edge across the brake drum edge half an inch to wheel rim with a standard WM2 rim.

2) Rear wheel (rigid frame) straight edge across hub brake drum side quarter inch to wheel rim (WM2 rim).

Hope this all makes sense - if not please give me a call

Roger 07917334214

Hi Roger and Karl,

I've got the same challenge but with my Big4 which is slightly different - 1954 model with the 8" brake drum.

Should the setoff still be the same ?" for the front?

Also, when you say "brake drum edge" I suppose you must mean the outer edge (not the inner surface)?

Roger

Are you sure about the rear wheel being quarter inch? My 1951 Plunger has a 2" offset when a straight edge is laid across the brake drum/sprocket with the brake plate and shoes removed. Quarter inch from that would mean the chain rubbing on the tyre. Were you measuring from the rear of the drum or perhaps the hub flange?

I don't think there was a difference between the rigid and the plunger regards offset but someone may know better.

I would agree witht he half inch for the front (same procedure with a straight edge across the brake drum with brake plate etc removed)

Cheers

Dougie

Simple drawings would help a great deal and not not leave any uncertainty. Has anyone seen anything of the kind?

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans