Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Supplier for Lucas magneto contact points 54440888

Forums

Hi all,

I am trying to find a source to purchase the aftermarket, replica Lucas 54440888 contact breaker points. The set I am looking for fits the later lucas mags with the steel points plates. Most sets do not include the fiber washers, the third spring, and the push on retaining washer, but I see a guy on ebay USA selling them & they seem to be made in Taiwan. I an trying to find a trade vendor who will sell me in bulk, any leads?

Thank you,

Skip Brolund

Previously eugene_brolund wrote:

Hi all,

I am trying to find a source to purchase the aftermarket, replica Lucas 54440888 contact breaker points. The set I am looking for fits the later lucas mags with the steel points plates. Most sets do not include the fiber washers, the third spring, and the push on retaining washer, but I see a guy on ebay USA selling them & they seem to be made in Taiwan. I an trying to find a trade vendor who will sell me in bulk, any leads?

null

Thank you,

Skip Brolund

Vehicle wiring produces Nottingham UK its on the web Yours Anna J

Thanks for the suggestions!

Vehicle wiring does not show any contact points sets of any kind on their website. Holden sells the54440888 points, but sadly, theirs do not include the 2 fibre washers & retaining washer.

Still looking :)

Previously eugene_brolund wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions!

Vehicle wiring does not show any contact points sets of any kind on their website. Holden sells the54440888 points, but sadly, theirs do not include the 2 fibre washers & retaining washer.

Still looking :)

I believe the washers are made of a phenolic material known as Micarta in the US and Paxolin in the UK. It was also used for circuit boards. They have a lot more dielectric strength than fiber because fiber washers can absorb moisture.

Thanks Jonathan. I willneed to measure the thickness of the stock washers & see how close we can get.One ov the people from the Micarta buisness split off & produced a similar product to be used as a laminate for countertops. He used the term "Formerly Micarta", & shortened it to Formica :)

Correction:

The gears for advance/retard units (not on Nortons) are made of this material and they are called "fibre gears" but it is not the same material as "fibre washers" which is not machinable. When I read the original post I thought of fibre washers and not fibre gears (which I should have done).

I have a similar confusion with "cotter pins" which in the US means "split pins" as UK style cotter pins don't exist in the US (unless you go to an antique motorcycle shop). I suppose Norton owners don't run into these issues due to the lack of cotter pins and A/R gears on these bikes. Everyone else has to adjust, though.

Skip, you could try Tony Cooper in Halesowen in the UK. He does wonderful retorations of mags and dynamo's. I seem to recall that he also supplies a number of other repairers as he owns many of the tools required to make the parts. I don't think Tony has a website but you can get his telephone number if you Google him. HTH.

OK, Tony Coopers telephone number is 0121 559 2405 if calling from UK or +44121 559 2405 from outside the UK. HTH.

Here is the MagDyno that Tony did for my Ariel Red Hunter. It works perfectly.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans