Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Re: ES2 1948 Problems

Forums

I have acquired a fully restored 1948 ES2 but am having some problems and hope people more familiar with Nortons will be able to provide some advice.

1. I have used 5 kickstart return springs to date and they all bend where the spring engages with the castellated part of the shaft! Am I doing something daft or are they poor quality repro springs?

2. When I change from 2nd to 3rd the gears jump out. Changing down from 4th to 3rd is OK. Any ideas?

3. Will not start when hot. I assume this is probably a Magneto problem but any other ideas?

Thanks in anticipation

Jim

Dear Jim,

In answer to question 2 the dogs are worn on your gears and the only real fix is to have the gears/cogs replaced with ones that have sharp, not rounded off corners. I had the same problem with ny Inter's laydown gearbox but managed to acquire new items from the Club's spares scheme. The gears for that box were labelled with an "N" number e.g. N8053 so take the box apart remove the gears, note the part No and hope that somebody can replace like for like, obviously with sharp corners on the dogs. There is less load on the box when changing down from 4th to third than there is when changing up from 2nd to third - that's why it doesn't jump out.

Almost certainly in answer to Q3 the "shellac" insulation on the mag rotor has partially broken down. Test the spark by looking at it when the engine is cold and then again (at home of course!) when the engine is hot. With a hot engine it may be very weak or non-existent when compared to cold. Then you'll have unequivocal proof.

Regards,

Peter Bolton

Many thanks Peter.

I have now stripped the gearbox down to examine the gears and dogs. Before seeing your advice I would have judged them OK but there is some round off of corners on the dogs. I've ordered replacements form the Club shop but they are second hand so I'm hoping they will be good when they arrive. It has been suggested that an alternative might be to get the dogs ground to square off the corners and then have them re case hardened. Have you heard of this or know of anyone who could do it? I'm in Nottingham and there don't seem to be any suitable small engineering shops advertised in this area.

The Mag is in for overall.

Thanks again

Jim

Dear Jim,

I too have purchased a "restored" 1948 ES2. This bike was fresh off the boat from England and I purchased it it at the Las Vegas auction. I have not tried to start it yet. It was supposedly run recently. When I poured fuel into it, the fuel ran through the taps and out onto the floor. This goddamned thing should be perfect for the price I paid and I hope I don't have the problems that you are having. When the transaction was taking place, I mentioned that I hoped that the mag/dyno was up to snuff. The owner said it had been all gone through. I hope the bike does not end up on the scrap heap.

Let me know how yours is going.

Bob Smith

Forestville, California

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans