Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Quaife 5 speed problem? 1972 Dunstall 810 Commando

Forums
Hi Guys, I've had this problem for 3 years now....and done nothing about it...ahem...Gearbox works well, in 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th but when I change into 5th...I clearly engage another gear, but absolutely nothing happens, in that the revs don't drop at all, I get 105 ish in 4th and exactly the same in 5th, any ideas?

I'd test it by seeing how many engine rotations occur in a certain number of rear wheel rotations, in 4th and 5th. Just to see if what you think is happening is really happening.

If it feels at the lever like it has shifted 4th -> 5th but the ratio hasn't changed then there is, presumably a problem with the camplate turning but the selector fork not moving. You can get funny things happening if the selector fork shaft comes unscrewed.

If there is any doubt that the box is not shifting properly thru the gears you should strip it for safety.

Gear ratios here: https://www.nortonownersclub.org/support/technical-support-commando/gearbox-ratios should give you an idea of what to expect when it's working properly.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans