Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Paint for 1954 Dommie 88

Forums

Please could somebody advise of the current nearest colour to the grey my grandfarther remembers (he own one in 1954). I have bought a real basket case to restore with his help... Any spares for this model considered.

regards

lee

Previously lee_rice wrote:

volkswagon platin looks pretty good, I was was advised by Anna and am impressed with results - use several fine coats otherwise comes out a bit dark.good luck,If you need any spares,let me know what you want, I am rebuilding a 1955 88(yes STILL!!) and have a fair assortment!

Terry

Please could somebody advise of the current nearest colour to the grey my grandfarther remembers (he own one in 1954). I have bought a real basket case to restore with his help... Any spares for this model considered.

regards

lee

Previously terry_odlin wrote:

volkswagon platin looks pretty good, I was was advised by Anna and am impressed with results - use several fine coats otherwise comes out a bit dark.good luck,If you need any spares,let me know what you want, I am rebuilding a 1955 88(yes STILL!!) and have a fair assortment!

Terry

regards

lee

Thanks Terry,

I have a real basket case on my hands...

I have main frame but not the bolt on rear section..

Missing:

tool tray (1953/1954 variant)

nuts and bolts for nothing yet...

anything considered! will travel and buy in bulk...

lee

Hi Lee,

Your grandfather must be close to my generation. I ride a '54 88, which was repainted in 2000. Sorry I can't tell you the paint code. I was lucky, in that the interior of the primary chaincase had the original paint. I managed to get a match to this. Look on Members Bikes Gallery, pages 18 & 24, it may bring back memories to your grandad. The first two photos were taken in 2000 (before leaving for the Begonia rally), and, the third on New Year's Day, in Spain 2012. Good luck with your restoration, it will be worth it!

John.

regards

lee

hello yes I have a big tin of polychromatic grey its got a gold tint in it, and is not the silvery grey like the later nortons and not this VW Palatine metallic grey that the big mistake everyone makes,

Afternoon Anna,

Wheres abiout are you and what would you like for the right paint??

I have to be as right as I can with this project!! Grandfather remembers everything!!

thanks

lee

Afternoon Anna,

Wheres abiout are you and what would you like for the right paint??

I have to be as right as I can with this project!! Grandfather remembers everything!!

thanks

lee

well I am the founder of the east yorkshire branch and there for in Howden area, your need to email me, on annajeannette@btinternet.com for more details, PS now I have fold the paint code in one of my books I keep ,, so then the code number for polychromatic grey 1954 ICI number L 98G.9305B and this will be in cellulose please make this note, it will be a base coat then you lacquerer over this base coat in thin coats yours Anna J

Previously terry_odlin wrote:

Terry

regards

lee

Thanks Terry,

I have a real basket case on my hands...

I have main frame but not the bolt on rear section..

Missing:

tool tray (1953/1954 variant)

nuts and bolts for nothing yet...

anything considered! will travel and buy in bulk...

lee

Well yes VW Palatine grey looks very nice, but its too light a shade and dose not have and gold in the mix of the paint. and for 1954 export dominator model 88 were in light polychromatic blue, or post office red, they look nice too, and in Black if requested by the new buyer, direct from Norton , So now you have four colours to choose from , And the lining on the tank for the export colours were in black and white, the other two home models were in black and red, yours Anna J

Sorry to disagree, but there was no gold mixed withe the grey paint, at least, not in '53 & '54. Neither was lacquer applied then. The handbook refers to "polishing the enamel.

Previously John Shorter wrote:

Sorry to disagree, but there was no gold mixed withe the grey paint, at least, not in '53 & '54. Neither was lacquer applied then. The handbook refers to "polishing the enamel.

well you can disagree all you like I have done 6 month work doing the research on this and had some of the leading paint manufactures on this to including I.C.I auto paint devision and this is there paint code of these years from 1952 to September 1955 so your bike as lost is true colour by being in the sun paint fades , or someone as repainted it

before you

and lacquer is applied now as thats how it sold, as a base coat for metallic paints , solid paint come with a lacquer in them and VW palatine Grey is base on Norton Grey and some as end up saying it was polychromatic grey were it is not it 3 shades to light, and as no gold in the mix, even the silver on the Manx had a gold sheen to it, and i seen five original works Manx Nortons one with Desmodronic camshafts in the head , and one rotary valve head the other 3 were all DOHC machines

Hello Lee,

John has given you the correct answer as the original finish was probably in enamel so there is no original paint code. However you asked for the nearest modern paint so could I suggest you go to a paint supplier and get a selection of colour cards which you can then show to your grandfather. Use the paint names mentioned as a guideline.

I would not recommend the use of cellulose paint for all sorts of reasons and it is now difficult to get as well. Two pack is much better but please keep in mind that it hazardous to health. Modern paint as you probably know is now water based but you do need proper equipment for use. So it's your choice.

Patrick

Anna, I don't think you would have seen a new Dominator, in the early 50's, I was riding one!

well that as may be john but you would not know the paint code would you, I spent six month looking and going round the big auto paint manufactures for nothing then !

Anna, Like you previously stated that that the rubber seal for an ignition switch was not available? You may know a lot about Nortons, but, not all! There was no such thing as paint coding, in the early fifties. Everyone descibed their colours in terms that would appeal to their customers. Apart from which, I suspect colours on the Norton production line varied from batch to batch. Tell me the paint code for British Racing Green, there are more variations than shades of Grey.

I will dig out my few remaining original parts from my 1955 Dommie 88 from my shed one day,but I'm not sure if they used the same paint colours.All metallic finishes must have a "lacqueur" or clear coat on top to prevent oxidisation.That has applied at least back to the early 1950s - two of my Uncles were in the car repair business, which obviously included paint spraying. I was a slow starter and didn't spray my first car until I was 15 - in cellulose obviously.smileyCheers, Lionel

Anna, Like you previously stated that that the rubber seal for an ignition switch was not available? You may know a lot about Nortons, but, not all! There was no such thing as paint coding, in the early fifties. Everyone descibed their colours in terms that would appeal to their customers. Apart from which, I suspect colours on the Norton production line varied from batch to batch. Tell me the paint code for British Racing Green, there are more variations than shades of Grey.

yes john you are right in that respect , But now you need a paint code to get the paint you need as time as moved on, paint technology as moved on there is millions of colours out there. and there is lots of colour the same but with a different name and number too them , early colour did have the lacquer in them but were oven dried so if there was a temperature difference in these ovens they came out with a darker or lighter shade , so happy riding the sun is on its way

yours anna j

Anna, I know times have moved on, and the many changes have not all been for the better. However, there are still a few painters out there who are skilled enough to match any colour, without looking up paint codes on a computer. The sun has never gone away, for long, here near Valencia.

I am happily riding my '54 88, which is as close to the original colour as it is possible to get. Check out the photos, on the bike gallery.

Anna, I know times have moved on, and the many changes have not all been for the better. However, there are still a few painters out there who are skilled enough to match any colour, without looking up paint codes on a computer. The sun has never gone away, for long, here near Valencia.

I am happily riding my '54 88, which is as close to the original colour as it is possible to get. Check out the photos, on the bike gallery.

well john have so happy riding in the sun yours anna j

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans