Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Norton 961

Anybody having problems or broken down?

Previously clive_willis wrote:

Hi Clive,

Good question.

My Norton has been at the factory service department for 3 months now.

I took it in for a service, clutch noise and smoking problem.

I have chased and chased for updates but very few are forthcoming.

Communication with customers is at rock bottom. I finally wrote to Stuart Garner and got a response from Sean and TouchÃ?.

Still no bike.

3 months of summer riding down the pan and 3 months warranty lost.

It's a real shame that norton do not have a customer relation/update policy or system.

Great bike - I just don't have one to ride.

Previously philipmj_arundel wrote:

Hi Clive,

Good question.

I have chased and chased for updates but very few are forthcoming.

Communication with customers is at rock bottom. I finally wrote to Stuart Garner and got a response from Sean and TouchÃ?.

Still no bike.

3 months of summer riding down the pan and 3 months warranty lost.

It's a real shame that norton do not have a customer relation/update policy or system.

Great bike - I just don't have one to ride.

I had a few problems with my 961 at first but I found that the service/support team at Norton were very helpful. They sorted the problems and returned the bike within a week FOC as it was still in warranty. That was over 3 years ago and I have covered over 5,000 trouble free miles since then. I would like to think that if I were to get a problem in future they would be just as effiicient. I did have a 6,000 mile service a few months back and I was impressed with the turn around time. I did have to wait for almost two weeks as I had an exhaust fitted which was not in stock but that included collection and return to my house.

Have you had any feedback from them regarding the fault. My clutch has always been quite noisy compared to my other bikes, although to be fair that was from day one. I have listened to quite a few and they have all been the same, I must admit though if there was a fix to improve this I would get it done. However I've had quitefew Ducati's in my time and the clutch was a lot more noisy!I have always found Sean to be very helpful and provides good customer service, give him anothercall and get the bike sorted before the bad weather.

BTWpleased to see that you have resonded to the original post of"has anyone had any problems" we won't getanywhere by just saying how marvellousthese bikes are and not reporting any faults.

John

Hi Clive,

Good question.

Previously John McNicoll wrote:

I had a few problems with my 961 at first but I found that the service/support team at Norton were very helpful. They sorted the problems and returned the bike within a week FOC as it was still in warranty.

Have you had any feedback from them regarding the fault. My clutch has always been quite noisy compared to my other bikes, although to be fair that was from day one. I have listened to quite a few and they have all been the same, I must admit though if there was a fix to improve this I would get it done.

John

Me too, I would be very interested to hear if Norton have changed anything with their concepts regarding the clutch to reduce the noise from it and from the primary drive.

Maybe Sean can tell us something about it?

Does anyone have a "new" 961 who can report if his bike is suffering of these problems?

Raphael

Previously raphael_vonaesch wrote:

Hi Clive,

Good question.

I had a few problems with my 961 at first but I found that the service/support team at Norton were very helpful. They sorted the problems and returned the bike within a week FOC as it was still in warranty.

Have you had any feedback from them regarding the fault. My clutch has always been quite noisy compared to my other bikes, although to be fair that was from day one. I have listened to quite a few and they have all been the same, I must admit though if there was a fix to improve this I would get it done.

John

Me too, I would be very interested to hear if Norton have changed anything with their concepts regarding the clutch to reduce the noise from it and from the primary drive.

Does anyone have a "new" 961 who can report if his bike is suffering of these problems?

Raphae

It seems the clutch noise is from the cush drive at the back of the clutch basket - as explained to me by Tuiche - this explains the chatter . However the Clatter is from the gearbox - I have been told that grade 70 oil helps enormously - instead of regular engine oil . At the factory is handled a demo cutaway gearbox - I rotated the main shaft back and forth and it gave the same clattering noise as my gearbox - there is a lot of backlash on the gears! Also described to me as an 'agricultural' gearbox by. Man in the know. I had a new clutch basket fitted under warranty .

The zmokinh problem was due to worn valve guides - TouchÃ? us having the cylinder head rebuilt under warranty. The bike has only covered 1200 miles.

as I said in my previous note the bike has been at the factory for 3 months and is still there.

totally p......d off now.

Previously raphael_vonaesch wrote:

Hi Clive,

Good question.

John

Raphae

It seems the clutch noise is from the cush drive at the back of the clutch basket - as explained to me by Tuiche - this explains the chatter . However the Clatter is from the gearbox - I have been told that grade 70 oil helps enormously - instead of regular engine oil . At the factory is handled a demo cutaway gearbox - I rotated the main shaft back and forth and it gave the same clattering noise as my gearbox - there is a lot of backlash on the gears! Also described to me as an 'agricultural' gearbox by. Man in the know. I had a new clutch basket fitted under warranty .

The zmokinh problem was due to worn valve guides - TouchÃ? us having the cylinder head rebuilt under warranty. The bike has only covered 1200 miles.

as I said in my previous note the bike has been at the factory for 3 months and is still there.

totally p......d off now.

I'm not surprised, they need to get this sorted for you ASAP ! This type of feedback will not do Norton's reputation any good. However when they are working correctly they are superb and a joy to own.

John Mc

My 961 Sport is now a month old, with 1500 miles on, has had both the stage 1 and stage 2 remaps. Stage 2 was done today, which changes the fueling right through the rev range, especially at 5-7000 revs, where it 'pinked' slightly. It ticks over slower, now 1000 rpm,but is obviously getting more fuel at all revs. The stage 2 download, no 077, has just been released by Norton and is for 961s with thelong open pipes only. Mine was the first one done by Krazy Horse. I watched the process, incredibly simple. Be careful not to push the plug back into the seat hump too far though, as you then cant get it out next time.

Krazy Horse had 10 Norton 961s in their showroom and workshop, of which 8 were sold awaiting collection, plus a Domiracer. Norton is their best selling brand. I havent seen that many finished 961s together, ever, not even at the factory workshop. Made a nice photo, they even had a green one and a red one, although most are silver or black. The last newgreen one they had was collected and ridden straight to Cornwall, at 3500 revs, thats a painful way of running in a motorcycle...

As for the bike, no problems to report, a joy to ride and is getting better and looser with every mile. The clattering has just about gone now, although it is still a noisy engine, but Im kind of affectionate about the engine noise now, as its a lot like an old Ducati. And it sounds superb. The clutch is slightly noisy but not intrusive. I think the modern gearboxes are different to the original, as I rode an SE recently and i found the gearbox not very nice at all. Very clunky and notchy. Mine is a 2014 model obviously and the gearbox is sweet, smooth and crisp, better than my Triumph explorer. But I dont know whats different. I did hear a rumour about a gearbox upgrade earlierthis year but i dont know if its true or whether my bike is a beneficiary.

I have had no dealings with Norton since I bought the bike, as all items are dealt with by Krazy Horse. Ive never had a bike from them before but they have been superb and Id recommend them to anyone. Their back up and customer care is second to none. They look like a bunch of biker stereotypes, tattoos, long hair etc, but are very switched on about the products they sell and most importantly, are all bikers themselves, including the girls.

On another matter, I rode on the London 'Distinguished Gentlemans Ride' last Sunday andmy 961was the only one there, which i was surprised about,although there were some fantastic machines in the 700 odd bikes that took part, including a Norton so old it had carbide lights. My highlight was the very good looking woman in her 40s,in a full length leather riding coat,that rode the course on a 1920s Indian, complete with hand gearchange and suicide clutch.... Respect.

If you get to join any of the 'Distinguished Gentlemans Rides' that are carried out all over the world on the last Sunday in Sept, please support them, or even better, join one and do one of the rides, as it is a great day. Shirt, tie, open face helmet and a smile are mandatory...

Picked my cafe racer up from Krazy horse on Thursday afternoon, as Steve said they had several bikes ready to go out. Its a bit like riding a slightly uncomfortable great handling bag of spanners, but good fun and full of character, and it is getting better I think with every mile. I did around 130 miles up to yesterday evening and thought I would have a good look over it and check the oil, to my surprise I found I could see no oil in the oil tank and it took around 3/4 litre to top it back up to the dip stick. I am hoping that maybe there was an air lock or something in the oil cooler or somewhere around the system which may explain the drop in level. I will be keeping a very close eye on it over the next few miles.

Previously david_peperell wrote:

Picked my cafe racer up from Krazy horse on Thursday afternoon, as Steve said they had several bikes ready to go out. Its a bit like riding a slightly uncomfortable great handling bag of spanners, but good fun and full of character, and it is getting better I think with every mile. I did around 130 miles up to yesterday evening and thought I would have a good look over it and check the oil, to my surprise I found I could see no oil in the oil tank and it took around 3/4 litre to top it back up to the dip stick. I am hoping that maybe there was an air lock or something in the oil cooler or somewhere around the system which may explain the drop in level. I will be keeping a very close eye on it over the next few miles.

Enjoy the bike David. Let us know how you get on with it and how the oil level gets on. Don't forget to check the level with bike upright and the oil up to temperature. As soon as possible after coming back from a ride works best for me.laugh

Previously david_peperell wrote:

I had to top mine up recently,I did the proscribed level test, run at tickover, then let settle, then check dipstick. I added 1/3 litre, then it started blowing oil out of the breather! They are very finicky about oil...

Just an update on my previous comments on my 961 and its starting habits and other things.The starter motor was fixed easily and cheaply but unbeknown to me at the time the other part of the sluggish starting was the regulator/ rectifier had gone awol and fried the battery. That was also easily fixed and now the bike is back to what it was built for and that is about having as much fun as possible with your clothes on!

Just a few hints and tips for anybody who may have to remove their starter motor.After disconnecting the battery and taking off the gear lever then the chaincase the two holding bolts for the starter motor are just behind the clutch basket,one is easy to get to but the other one is just behind the teeth of the basket,this is were you need to make your own special tool.It is very simple,a ball ended M8 allen key is ground down so it is nice and round for about 50mm or 2inches from the ball end and then you can easily get to the bolt without the edges of the allen key catching on the teeth of the clutch drum.Be careful of the threads on the starter as they are a fine thread and easily damaged.The other important thing to check is the positive lead to pole on starter and the pole lead to starter that is under the starter when on the bike and has a rubber boot fitted over it.Water over a period of time leaks into the bottom boot and on mine it was like a ball of rust,so after cleaning and using electrical grease i put a cable tie around it so no more rusty connections,the positive to battery is the easiest.

I would like to say that if you get in touch with Norton and you know what you want and give them an idea of your problem,you will find them very APPROACHABLE.

BOB

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans