Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Norton 500 single electric start

Forums
Hi, I have been lucky enough to inherit a 1960 500 single (wide featherbed) from an uncle, which he bought from brand new. It might sound like heresy, but my knee is knackered, is there an electric start kit I can fit? Thanks, Ian  

Hi Ian, I dare say it could be done but not commercially available just yet. Until then, one solution might be to fit a Model 50 engine.  Only an anorak will spot the difference and slightly down on power. Remember, it's about solutions and that would be mine. Keep riding while you are allowed.  

Hi Neil, Thanks so much for the reply. Much appreciated. Any suggestions on getting hold of one? Thanks very much again, Ian  

To be honest, my ES2 and 520 M50 are so easy to start, especially if you have a modern BTH magneto - no retarding needed - you use the compressor to take it over TDC and then just push it, nothing vigorous is needed!  Dan 

...they are a piece of cake to start. It's all proper setup and technique.  My knees are wasted as well and I can do it. A twin however is a different story.....for me anyway.

Rather than lowering engine size, you could lower compression ratio.  But one reason why electric starts weren't usually fitted until later is that the decompressors and low compression engines (for lower octane fuels) made starting quite easy.  Do you have problem with both knees? 

If you must fit an electric start to ANY such bike then you must consider that you need a decent battery. You might be able to fit one inside the wideline battery box, but please do some sums of Ahr and size first. You could cut the back out of the battery box and use the space towards the oil tank (if you do not have an air cleaner?) AGM batteries seem to have the 'grunt' for starting. Obviously the bike needs to be 12V, it could be worth while converting to 12V anyway. Electronic ignition should help normal starting, BUT with an electric starter the drop in voltage is another issue to think about.

I'm with Dan on this one.  My standard 1957 ES2 (same engine as yours, pre-featherbed frame) is easy to start.  Just switch on fuel, press the tickler on carburettor but only a little, retard ignition a bit and push down kickstart to find compression.  Then use decompressor and ease kickstart just past compression.  Now you're ready to start.  Lift up on kickstart.  Give the twistgrip the tiniest bit of throttle and push the kickstart down steadily all the way to the bottom.  As soon as she fires, advance the ignition and you're done. It seems a lot when you write it all down but it's a piece of cake really.  Don't try to make a hard or fast kick.  Slow but long wins this race.

Hi, I had a bad rugby injury when I was a teenager (and then later a skiing one) and had to first have both knees reconstructed, and now in fact both have been replaced. And my right hip doesn't feel too good either! So I'm a bit reticent about having a go at kick-starting it... I used to kick-start my 750 Bonneville okay, but that was a long long time ago... Hence my interest in electric starts. Thanks for all the feedback though! Much appreciated.

... my left knee replaced - about 12 years ago - and right hip - about 2 years ago. Obviously the left knee doesn't have much of a bearing but the right hip doesn't affect kickstarting my ES2 (8.5:1 compression) at all. However, I am much more cautious than I was about starting while astride. I thought nothing of it 20 years ago on my Commando. So I am a little reluctant to take the Norton out if there's a chance I may stall at the head of a queue. I have bought 2 alternatives to share garage space, both with electric starts. I'm keeping the ES2 however for high days & holidays.

Mike Pemberton might be able to give some advise and/or supply starter or engine?

Maybe check-out the Alton website. Enquire if they can supply?

Sorry, I sound like such a newbie, what petrol can I use that won't rot the pipes? 

Some from the1950's!   Esso E5 away from the SW is proportedly ethanol free, although I should point out that I didn't realise I'd dropped a piece of petrol pipe (the clear stuff that's reinforced with fibre) into my 5 gallon can of ethanol free race fuel, when I used the last of it, it fell out and was completely rigid and opaque (a few months later).  So Ethanol isn't the only problem with modern fuels, my advice is if you don't use the bike very often - drain it!

Good afternoon, Codan make good stuff see: https://rubberlast.com/3111-codan-fuel-hose-sae-j30-r6-rbl311.html Hope this helps. Regards Steve

Sorry to add to the drift, but Steve is almost there but not quite. The "ethanol proof" fuel hose is to SAE standard SAE-J30-R9, not the R6 level. Hosemaster is also a trusted genuine Codan fuel hose supplier. George 

Can you even get leaded petrol anymore? I worked when at school on the petrol pumps and remember how sweet it seemed to smell. Bit non-PC now I guess. 

Hello Ian, many NOCC members have asked about e-starters for both Norton Singles and heavy Twins (Dominators and variants). The big weakness with both these models seems to stem from the fact that the primary-drives are not robust enough to mount an e-start system. The Commando primary-drive is a substantial casting that can withstand the stresses and torque generated when the starter-motor is heaving the motor over compression whereas the Dommie/Singles 'tin' primary cases would just buckle-up under the strain. Numerous ideas have been tried and deployed by some members which involves fitting a starter motor to the gearbox - the designs are quite ingenious but we have never managed to persuade anybody to produce an easy-fit kit (yet!).
As Al O says, conversion to 12v would be a 'must' if you attempted such a modification.

Then there is battery charging?? When a vehicle has an electric start, you need a substantial battery to turn it over. Then you need a decent battery charger! (on the bike). None of these puny dynamos can do the job!! Properly. The amount of spare electricity (Ahr) that is in your car battery is quite a lot, The MKIII commando is a border line as we all know! So if you must have an electric 'tart on your motorcycle, just be aware of the potential pit falls. Like Electronic ignition to replace your mag! It is NOT an answer to a 'maidens prayer'. 

.... you could replace the engine with one that has an electric start to begin with! Yes a BSA but the theory could be used. This is a project I recently purchased to replace my stolen Tri-Greeves. I'll get my coat. B-Zuki

hello. on my es2 single .i always fancied the idea of fitting a dynastart with associated parts. you could mount it in front of the engine at the top of the mounting. have a pulley made for the crank sprocket. inplace of the nut. fit a drive belt and adjust the primary cover to suit. then get a couple of hefty batteries.it would be self contained unit just charging its own batterys for startup only. its nothing new . just like the idea. barry

Have just found an oldbike mart article online form 26 Jan. 2019 that shows the Velo Alton kit having been modified and fitted to an ES2. It needed a special splined connector from end of crank to kit sprag disc and other parts to seal primary case etc.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans