Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Norton 16h 1936 advice needed please

Hi everyone

New member here looking for some advice please. I have the above bike and owned it for 58 years but a move from Surrey to Scotland is prompting me to sell it however I’m unsure how much it’s worth. It’s running, overall condition is good but does need some TLC. I also have a large box of valves, pistons, cylinder liner, cams and extras. I’d be really grateful for your advice and a reasonable price and best place to advertise. Thanks in advance, Martin

That's a long time to own a bike. It must be part of the family !

There are a lot of things that can affect price. Top price would probably be for a pre-war civilian machine with panel tank, rubber-mounted handlebars and original chrome...followed by an accurate WD model....Many girder forked 16Hs in civilian trim have varying amounts of ex-WD parts and that makes them less desirable to both markets.

A running girder 16H with paperwork (and untampered numbers which match it) would probably be in the range of £6000 to £7500

The spare parts are probably best sold separately. You can list them and the bike here and in 'Roadholder'. I see a lot of bikes being sold directly via Facebook groups these days but no-one likes 'offers' so you'll either need to decide on a price or go the eBay or auction route...selling privately will avoid paying commission to others.

Do you have any recent photos ?

Thank you so much for your help. 

I am hoping to find a buyer that would be happy to take it on and maybe be with it on its 100th birthday.

After all it only 14 years a way, 

I've always steered fairly well clear although have a fake ID for a couple of groups. But recently I have both bought and sold bikes (2 bought 1 sold) via the marketplace and found it worked very well. Caveat emptor of course and would never consider buying a bike without meeting the owner at their home.

I am very great full for the help that you have given me regarding the possible sale of my 16 H Norton the Advice was a great help. It has transpired that a long term fried got wind of the fact that I was ready to pass on the care of the my 16H he is a lot younger than me and a keen motor cyclist who I am very confident is the right person for me to pass on in the custodianship for future generations to see and possibly ride. Once again THANK YOU for you time and help.

martin Whittaker 

Martin,

Where do you think you are going to get E 0 petrol from, North of the border.

There is Aspen or AVGAS but otherwise it is ethanol and the consequences.

Don't panic. A 16H can run fine on it.  Just try not to get it on the paintwork.  Spit back from carb will remove paint from the oil tank unless it is 2K.  But let's not write off our machines for lack of fuel just yet. Aspen costs the proverbial arm and a leg, and if you can't buy it locally it's no good anyway.

Actually, a 16H can run on paraffin if necessary. But that doesn't make it a good idea.

Just remember that the anti ethanol chemical (s) is not a lasting fix and again, costs for little gain. At least Aspen and AVGAS, like E0 can be left in the tank without damage. 

How did this happen ?

A question was asked about disposing of a 16H and appeared to have been answered to the satisfaction of the original poster. I hope so, anyway...

and then someone (the usual suspect) barges in and makes a fuel thread of it.

Come on moderators or admins. Please do something to stop this obsessive nonsense.

He's moving to Scotland.

And Richard, in 3 weeks we will be in the season of 'peace on Earth, good will to all men.'

I wrote dross response on the subject and yet you chose to read the content.

Nothing I said was untrue and so how was my response nonsense?

Perhaps Martin will take some E0 up with him. Either way, I believe I gave good advice, whether the bike goes North or not, isn't that what the forum is about?

Live in hope and go in Peace.

Neil. (37 16H owner)

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans