Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

New 961 test ride comments

I recently had the opportunity to test ride the new Norton Commando 961, first, a couple of weeks ago when Norton were doing a test ride day at P&H M/C's, which was a bit of a letdown really as I had to ride in tandem with a few other riders and follow the leader kind of thing. Pretty boring! 

But yesterday I tried it again on my own where I had the opportunity to really give it a really good thrashing on some really good windy fast roads from Crawley to Balcombe and back

First the Pro's:

The engine is pretty sweet and has that pushrod British parallel twin of old feel to it and it sounds good too. They've managed to not muffle it like most modern bikes so it has a nice bark and deep rumble. Acceleration is ok but nothing to write home about, my TDM 900 would smoke it, and the rev limiter spoils it a bit. The overall finish is nice though and it feels like a proper bike.

Cons.

The handling is weird. That wide rear tyre makes it feel like its trying to pull out all the time when caning it on fast curvy roads. The wheelbase feels too short, similar to a Buell. On tight bends and roundabouts it feels skitty and not very stable.

The frame - I don't have a clue why they did what they did with the frame. It has no isolastic engine mounts so vibration through the bars limits hard riding to max 10 miles before your hands start tingling. It looks like a metal trellis that someone designed on a computer. Why they didn't use the featherbed frame as a base and modernise it makes no sense to me. The Ohlins front forks and rear shocks are very good as you'd expect but, again, why didn't they take the roadholder forks and bring them into the 21st Century? 

They're touting this bike to be all British. It's not. It's made in England but with Swedish suspension, Jap electrics and switches and Italian brakes. 

It's a nice bike but I feel Norton have missed a fantastic opportunity, both engineering and marketing wise. The featherbed frame is legendary, it's Norton through to the core AND it's British. Same goes for Roadholder Forks. Also, isolastic engine mounts were an incredible invention, again by Norton yet this bike doesn't have them. My '73 Commando had much less vibration than this modern 961. 

For £16 grand I'd have thought they'd have pushed the boat out and made a proper all British bike utilising all the decades of R&D that went into making Norton the tour-de-force it once was, but to me it's just a nice looking retro made with parts made around the world and then put together in Solihull, England. Nice for short jaunts to the cafe, to look cool on and to fly the flag (sort of). However, it comes across as a posers bike, not a riders bike and IMHO it actually doesn't handle as well as my ol' 1966 Atlas which has a slimline featherbed frame, Roadholder forks, Hagon rear shocks and Avon Roadrider tyres. Doesn't have much more go in it either.

I told the guys at Norton all this and they were a bit like deer in the headlights. The guys at P&H yesterday just shrugged and wheeled the bike back into the shop.

Sorry, but that's my take on the new 961.

Let's leave people to make up their own minds.  You didn't enjoy it, but let's not denigrate other peoples' choices of Nortons, nor jeopardise their retail or resale values on the basis of personal distaste.  Plenty of other owners love theirs - some (possibly readers here) sold theirs and bought it back.  There will soon be other designs available.  Isn't any old bike "a poser's bike"?  There is no rational or logical reason to buy and ride any Norton today.  Apart from the shear pleasure of owning it and riding it for what it is, and not for what it is not.  Buy a Fireblade if you wish.

I enjoy mine and of course it's nice being part of the Norton 'family'!

961 Mk 2 Sport - Working

850 Mk 3 - Almost working.....

Navigator - Gearbox problem

Jubilee - Restoration project

That lot will keep me from decorating when I retire :)

As soon as the 50+BHP engines began to appear in the Featherbed frame its short-comings were noticed big-time.

The cross-over point of all the front tubes allowed the front end to nod unless a strong heady steady was fitted. This in turn passed the engine vibrations straight to the handlebars. Then the front down tubes fractured due to a combination of stress and vibration. 50 BHP was also too much for the swinging arm to cope with. The rubber Silentblocs pulling to one side and spoiling the frame's previously good handling.  You also had to get the tyre choice and pressure settings spot on or weaving could become a feature of a very fast ride.

From the 1980's onwards I do not recall any serious attempts, by major manufacturers to copy the Featherbed frame and mount 100+BHP engine in it. Must be a message there.

I owned two 961s and love their handling and braking. With unrestricted exhaust systems the front wheel would easily take off in first and second gear.

I ride old and modern bikes and  am happiest on an old Norton , but if someone wants to loan me their  961  I will gladly give an unbiased  opinion !!.

I also took a new 961 out for a test ride several weeks ago. I did about 20 miles, much of it briskly along fast A roads with sweeping bends and good curvy B roads. I found the handling very good and the braking ok. As to the braking, given Brembo’s  reputation and fact the the bike only had 2 miles on the clock, I put the wooden feel down to the fact the brakes had yet to bed in.

An all British bike would cost an absolute fortune to produce, and would end up with an rrp more like four times the current £16k.

Hi Stuart,

I met you at Ardingly. I respect your expertise and knowledge but I think it could be done and not for the extortionate figures you're talkning about.

The legendary featherbed frame is dated now for sure but I reckon it could be brought into the 21st century without too much hassle. The new Commando engine only makes about 70bhp so it's not going to overstress it. 

Roadholder forks are also lengendary, though a bit dated. Nevertheless, they also could be uprated and made to work well with adjustable dampers etc. 

I was thinking more along the lines of using the already tried and tested (and famous) old Norton R&D that was developed over the decades and used to really good effect to win TT races, etc. It would give the new bikes that extra touch of Kudos. Like I said, the engine is now really nice. It's not going to win many races but that's irrelevent. I'm talking about producing a REAL British bike, not a multinational mongrel which it currently is.

The 961 engine is an updated and re engineered version of American Kenny Dreers original design. Not 100% REAL British but nothing wrong with using the best available components, whether by country of design or manufacture.

The original 1902 Norton had a Clement engine and the first TT winning Norton had a Peugeot, both French if I recall. The V4 TT bike had Aprilia power from Italy where it is believed some Commando frames were built.

Best thing if you want a 100% British bike is build your own. Anything in mind and what components?

I built a one-off feet forward with Mk3 Commando engine/box/swingarm. The only non British ( which easily could have been ) components were an Ohlins rear monoshock and a White Power front monoshock, as it has a Foale double wishbone front  end.

As it goes Tony Foale's designs were among those I followed with interest in those days as many did. I didn't like the feet first bike concept however, preferring the simpler conventional layout.  Is your bike still about? It would attract a lot of interest especially with Mk3 drivetrain.

Hi Cooper,

Admire your principles, pity you don't apply them when you are pitching your tent,

Har har har ( Yetholm Norton meet)

yes, I still have it, though not used for two years. I built it with both FF and head first seating, and usually prefer HF in practice. Contrary to what one might think, most people don’t seem interested much. I put it down to lack of inquisitiveness. At least it got a prize at Ardingly a few years back, presented by Peter Williams, which made my day!

Glad to hear you still have it, never heard of the head first riding position, sounds even more alarming especially if you tail end someone!

I know what you mean re the lack of inquisitiveness. Maybe you're riding with the wrong people but would you class yourself as inquisitive?

I find people not involved in the classic club scene and general public of all ages show a greater interest. Leads to some rewarding friendships. In one case a few laps of Goodwood as a passenger after someone saw my Commando parked at a museum and struck up a conversation. More of a fast car guy but a knowledgable engineer and fun character.

yes, I often approach complete strangers to ask about some bike I have a question about. I agree that non-bikers are more forward about odd-looking bikes I have been riding. (Head first is a term adopted by the feet- forward community referencing the ‘standard’ stance, derived from bicycles originally, of course.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans