Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Mercury 650

Forums

I have just bought a 650cc Mercury. Although it is now silver, the original registration document states that it was black when delivered ex factory. Q1. Was black an optional colour from the factory or was it specified as an original colour for the Mercury? The bike has bright metal mudguards similar to my Commando. Q2. Were the later models delivered with stainless mudquards as an optional extra or even a standard fitting? The bike also has twin leading shoe brakes although some at least have a single leading shoe front brake. the bike is a 1970 model so the very end of the line.

If anyone knows the answers to these questions and or has a photo of an original Mercury in black I would be grateful if you would post them. Thanks

A good number of the 1968 and 69 built Mercury 650 bikes ended up being stored for a year before being dispatched.  So many 1970 and 1971 registered bike are actually earlier models. This was due to them all being stored at Plumstead in a building with a single entry/exit. The result generally  being first in...........last out.

The advertised tank colour was Silver but a lot of Mercurys well sold to Police and Military forces overseas. Many of these were painted either Black or White all over.  Quite a few all Black machines ended up in the Caribbean Islands.

Due to the arrival of the Commando 750, sales of the Mercury were poor and all kinds of offers were made to try and off-load them before Plumstead was bull-dozed. This included the options of painted, stainless or Chromed mudguards. Rev counter drive and clock. Alloy rims, Twin leading shoe brake plate. Atlantic Blue painted tank.

The original dealer price for a new Mercury was generally just £50 less than a new Commando. If the rev counter set-up and TLS brake plate were taken up as options the sale price passed that for a new Commando.

Some of the last few Mercury bikes appeared on Dealers forecourts, in 1971,  for less than £400 each. John Hudson had a Mercury for many years, rating it as one of the best bikes he ever owned. His only criticism being the frames were made in Italy from soft 'B' grade steel which twisted or bent if the bike was dropped or kerbed.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans