Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Magneto sprockets on a 1949 ES2

Forums

I am just about to change the magneto chain on my 1949 ES2 as there is excessive wear and it also appears to be too wide as there is a great deal of sideways play on the teeth. I assume that the magneto chain that the NOC is of the correct width.

My question is though ... I have been told that it is good practice to change the magneto and camshaft sprockets at the same time and the only ones I can find (at Norvil - MAGNETO 1948-1958 MODEL 50/ES2/19S ) have 16 teethwhereas mine have 15 teeth. Is it OK to change both sprockets (of course) for 16 teeth ones?

TIA

Ian

Only drawback I can think of: will whatever puller you use to detach the sprocket be able to fit around the edges?

Since the chain is so well oiled, do the sprockets need changing? Why not try the new chain to fit first? I did find a new chain I fitted was bar tight - so I reused the old one. Someone since suggested I should have washed the packing grease out and re-oiled it. Maybe next time.

Thanks for that.

I am awaiting a reply from him

Regards

Ian

Previously wrote:

Paul Norman sells the 15t ones at www.racingnorton.co.uk.

That "Good practice" is a dealer stunt. Many bike shops will tell you to always replace the sprockets when replacing a chain. Of course, the reason they do this is to sell sprockets, even better for them if the customer pays the shop to do the work. Just examine the sprockets carefully and see if they're really worn out. It's not like you're looking to ride 20,000 miles a year on your 1949 ES2.

Colin.

Previously wrote:

I am just about to change the magneto chain on my 1949 ES2 as there is excessive wear and it also appears to be too wide as there is a great deal of sideways play on the teeth. I assume that the magneto chain that the NOC is of the correct width.

My question is though ... I have been told that it is good practice to change the magneto and camshaft sprockets at the same time and the only ones I can find (at Norvil - MAGNETO 1948-1958 MODEL 50/ES2/19S ) have 16 teethwhereas mine have 15 teeth. Is it OK to change both sprockets (of course) for 16 teeth ones?

TIA

Ian

Thats a good point. I just ordered a new timing chain for my inter without bothering to replace sprockets, they seem ok for another turn.

I gave my 1998 Honda (am I allowed to use that word here?) to a dealer a few months back for a new chain because the old one was absolutly knackered. I said to the dealer to have a look at the sprockets and I'd leave it to him to decide whether or not it needed them, I was fully prepared to pay for two new sprockets and wouldnt have minded as the bike has just over 40k on the clock and I do a lot of miles on it. When I went in to pick the bike up I was suprised to see he hadn't changed them. He openly admited that they normally do it as a 'matter of course' but they are busy at the moment and mine where actually fine so decided to leave them. He was right, they have loads of life left in them so was happy to save the money. But it's worth checking the sprockets and making your own decision.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans