Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Lucas 169SA Switch Gear Layout?

Forums

Hi,

I have a late 71 750 Roadster, after having all sorts of issues with the wiring i decided to enlist the help of a professional vehicle electrician.

I have had a custom made loom made for the bike, the loom was designed around the wiring diagram listed in the Haynes Workshop Manual for a 71 Commando.

I have just collected the bike, somel the switch gear funtions (Lucas 169SA) are reversed ie: the indicators are on the right (formerly the left), the horn is on the lower left switch, pass light is on the upper right and the kill switch is on the left.

I have discussed this with the guys that made and installed the loom, and clearly this is the layout shown in the Haynes manual.

Please could you shed some light on the correct layout for this year? I have looked at numerous Youtube videos online some show Right hand side indicator switch (seems to be the stateside videos), whilst others are on the Left, Please anyone shed some light on the correct layout.

The bike was manufactured 1971, first registered in early 1972

Frame / Engine no: 20MS1050808

Pete

Never trust a Manual especially a third party manual. Use manuals as a guide and double check everthing.

The factory started by putting the indicator switch cluster on the left, but moved it to the right as most owners swapped it over anyway, then some owners preferred the left as on my 74 and I swapped it back to the right. For you specific year is best to go by the Norton owners handbook, Haynes would have picked one and then said it applied to all years, Haynes make good doorstops, the pictures are useful but the OE Handbooks and Workshop manuals are the bibles for the text and diagrams.

Previously john_holmes wrote:

The factory started by putting the indicator switch cluster on the left, but moved it to the right as most owners swapped it over anyway, then some owners preferred the left as on my 74 and I swapped it back to the right. For you specific year is best to go by the Norton owners handbook, Haynes would have picked one and then said it applied to all years, Haynes make good doorstops, the pictures are useful but the OE Handbooks and Workshop manuals are the bibles for the text and diagrams.

Hi John,

Many thanks for the info

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans