Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Jubilee De Luxe 1959

Forums

Well I went ahead and bought a litre of the Dove Grey paint and a litre of Post Office Red paint, all in 2K. The weather here was lovely and warm over the past few days so no need for any heating. Personally I think the BS shade of Dove Grey is very nineteen fiftys- definitely much greyer than the RAL shade which is really an off white.

Here's a picture of the Yamton in it's new paint.

Attachments yamton-new-paint-2-jpg

Do you mean the two Navigators or the two Jubilees still in the garage? The MG is a retired race car.

Patrick

Since it it not a real Norton, I can have "YAMTON" scripts made by a graphic guy and trade them for the Norton Bagdes on the tank.Laughing

Besides that it look good. Did the engine fit into the frame without any major surgery?

My dove gray is RAL 1013 and a more an off white as you said.

The seat fits on the standard Norton mounts but the seat cover was a home made one which didn't quite fit properly because the seat foam was also a home made job. The front down tube is from a Yamaha and the frame was cut and then re-welded so a fairly major job but it always kept its original frame number. It is all welded for strength. It was powder coated many many years ago by a fellow in Pontefract and he apologised at the time for using the 'wrong' colour of Dove Grey as it was all he could get in powder. This RAL colour now appears to be accepted as the norm.

The whole lot was made about 30 years ago from a scrap 1959 Jubilee (when an old Norton lightweight was worth nothing -or less) and a crashed US model Yamaha XS400 (also worth nothing). It was made at my house in North Yorkshire by myself and a BSA Gold Star racer man (still alive and well in Yorkshire). That's why it has MADE IN ENGLAND transfers on the frame. It cost virtually nothing. We had happy days racing the Gold Star and it was running perfectly - hence we built the Yamton to keep us occupied. The flashing indicators on the Norton straight bars are from an Electra.

Patrick.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans