Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Italy 2016 clasp

I really enjoyed the 2016 international rally in Italy and think everybody involved in the organisation did a wonderful job.

My only slight disappointment was that there was not a clasp issued to go with all the other International rally clasps.

Is there a chance that the club could commission the manufacturer of one to be given to those who did go?

I know an attractive badge was given in the welcome pack, but I would really like a clasp to go with my others. I would be willing to pay for it.

If you are talking about the badges that hang underneath each other, this is something that has been mentioned on numerous occasions by numerous Members of the Club that attended the rally Peter. Unfortunately, and I may be wrong,I get the impression that the idea to have one producedhas been kicked into the long grass. There was a general feeling amongst certain people thatthe whole badge ethos was wearing thin and should be discontinued. I have to say that I wasn't one of them. I was akeen collector!

I think a badge revival will occur, only if enough Club Members shout loud enough.

Happy shouting!

the decision not to continue with the rally bars this year was a recommendation from the rally team accepted by the National Executive, (if that is Kev's definition of "certain people" then so be it). The reasoning was straightforward, a rally badge stands on its own and is a useful keepsake for anyone attending an International Rally regardless of whether a member attends on a single or a number of occasions, The rally bar can only be worn by those in possession of a rally holder. The combined cost of both is around £10 whereas the badge was produced for less that £1.

If we were to email participants and offer the bar we would have to explain carefully what it was and that a holder would be required to display it as I guess many may be unaware of it. We would then be faced with receiving orders, postage and packaging and then what to do next year. I accept that a relatively few attendees have expressed concern about the issue but sometimes it is better to move forward and the provision of a stand alone pin denies no-one of a keepsake whereas the rally bar is only of interest to regular attenders who are the proud owners of a badge holder. Views however are always welcome.

Tim

As Italy was the only international rally I've done I fall into the group Tim mentions. I have no idea what the rally bar is. The badge was fine in my opinion as I know nothing else.

I can however see why keen collectors of a certain type of keepsake would be disappointed by it being discontinued, I probably would be if I'd been collecting a set of something for years only to find it no longer happened.

Purely out of interest, anyone got a picture of the previous type of souvenir?

Andy

Hear!hear! I am one of the ''few members that expressed an interest'', and likewise, would be prepared to pay for a rally bar to join the others on my 20-year-old or so holder. And you dont HAVE to have a holder! Remember poor old Dutch Franz, who has them all pinned to bis special hat?

I can add that I know of at least two more French attendees who would like one, and can probably find more.

Here is my collection so far. I keep them hanging up easily and regularly seen in my house to give me the impetus to keep attending whenever possible which is why I feel sad to not have one for Italy 2016.

It is as if a 14 year journey has been broken.

At the USA rally one was not handed out, but was posted on later. Surely this could be done for us bar collectors.

Attachments IMG_0440.PNG

Surely if there are enough of us who went to Italy last year that want a date bar, the NOC will at least get some done?Also we need to make sure there's a date bar for the 2017 International Rally!

Purely out of interest I checked on the costs of the bars for the 2013 International rally. £518.94 including VAT. As Treasurer I reclaimed the VAT for NOC.

A large proportion of the cost of these badges is the tooling.

How much are you prepared to pay for these badges? Not more than a few quid I'd guess.

Experience of the Spanish 2010 International rally, when rally bars were sent out on request, saw me throwing masses of unwanted rally bars in the bin. Where most would have ended up if we had included them with the rally bag.

If 5 people want the bars and are prepared to pay £100 each, that's fine with me.

Or do the rest of us pick up the cost for you? The rest of the people attending the rally? Or the membership in full? And why should we?

I'm with the new Events Team. Let them move forward.

Peter

Peter, I have / had great respect for you as our treasurer , I think £500 is a tad much, I go to rallies a fair bit and all have badges which I'm sure are cheaper. Maybe worth a look around?

i organised 2013 I think, I handed back a fair bit of cash to the Noc from the "profit" which I'm sure would have covered the cost of date bars.

Its the small things like this that could stop a long standing attendee miss some years. Myself , they all end up in a box so I'm not bothered personally but understand why people are.

Yep, the NOC should move on. Bugger tradition.

Why not just make a walk-around view of a campsite with some CGI motorcycles ? It would save all that nasty expensive oily motorcycley stuff.

i haven't got any myself but it sounds a bit harsh not to make some for those who would like one. also sounds like we don't stand a chance of any bike parts being made judging by the reaction . Baz

I have no idea what I would do with one. But as I made it there and back why not. Even if it needs a contribution from those that wish to.

Oh well! Who needs tradition anyway? Norton? This is doubtless just another thread that will peter out with hardly a whimper,rather like rally bars I suppose! I'm justglad I had them made for the Bremen rally.

Kev

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans