Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

How to lace wheels on a 1974 Commando?

Forums

I'm in need of a video or some instructions on how to lace wheels on a 74 commando; disc front and drum rear wheel. Fellow here wants over 350 pounds to do the job. From videos I've seen on you-tube it shouldn't be that difficult. I've purchased wheel/balancing stand and spoke wrenches ;rims and spokes will be here next week. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Bought this bike 2 years ago as a basket case and this is last thing required before I can ride it this year. Thanks.

£350 sounds reasonable to me, I've just paid someone £408 for stainless steel rims and spokes. Though I guess as with all restorations any savings you can achieve if you're capable of doing things yourself are good.

Just posted this as a price comparison for you. Good luck with your resto!

The Commando disc wheel is a swine that defeats even many professionals. The disc side spokes have to stand almost vertical and I believe that there was a factory service release posted on this forum which detailed thumping the spokes with a hammer to get them that way !

Previously demetri_flourentzou wrote:

£350 sounds reasonable to me, I've just paid someone £408 for stainless steel rims and spokes. Though I guess as with all restorations any savings you can achieve if you're capable of doing things yourself are good.

Previously emile_dumont wrote:

Previously demetri_flourentzou wrote:

Thanks for comparison . Only problem was this price was for labour only. Just ordered stainless spokes and nipples plus aluminum Excel shouldered rims and they were worth $800 US plus shipping to the colonies up here in Canada.Take care.

There have been a number of spoking threads on AccessNorton. Unfortunately, this message board doesn't support copy / paste using Firefox.

If you go to the forum and search using 'lacing' it will show plenty of information about the three different disc wheel lacing patterns used by Norton.

Are your original wheels still in one piece ?

Bearing in mind that your supplier will have provided spokes with a particular head angle and that the rims will have been pierced with one or other spoking pattern in mind, it might not be a bad idea to call them and ask.

Emile,

I had my wheel rebuilt last year and the labour was £50, I supplied the SS rim and SS spokes. The local chap (in Somerset UK) was very familiar with this rim, and as Richard points out, is a difficult one to true up because one set of spokes are almost vertical and have to be highly tensioned. In fact, the night after he rebuilt the wheel he found that one spoke had snapped and the free end had marked his ceiling!

This guy is extremely experienced at building wheels and constructing his own racing sidecar space frames, then racing them. So I trust him to have got it right, I couldn't have done this myself.

I suggest you try and get some alternatve quotes for the rebuild.

Phil Ham.

Previously richard_payne wrote:

There have been a number of spoking threads on AccessNorton. Unfortunately, this message board doesn't support copy / paste using Firefox.

If you go to the forum and search using 'lacing' it will show plenty of information about the three different disc wheel lacing patterns used by Norton.

Are your original wheels still in one piece ?

Bearing in mind that your supplier will have provided spokes with a particular head angle and that the rims will have been pierced with one or other spoking pattern in mind, it might not be a bad idea to call them and ask.

Richard , thanks for advice on searching on forum. Yes original wheel is intact so maybe I can slow and learn from diasassembly .I know that I'll be able to do back wheel assembly. Guess this is why my buddy paid thru the nose to get his wheels assembled by old timer.Thanks.

Here's the pic of the disc brake wheel service release for final 'fettling'!!..... You will probably find the disc side spokes very tight on completion. They are very beefy spokes though, the correct disc wheel ones that is.

Attachments disc-wheel-release-jpg

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans