Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Flywheel orientation early 500 twin

Forums

I have a question regarding the orientation of the crankshaft flywheel.

Before dismantling the crankshaft for sludge removal I photographed the complete crankshaft, so I have on record which way the flywheel was assembled. However since the standard of the previous rebuild was so low, I am not at all confident that the flywheel was ever put back the right way before.Roy Bacon's book says the Birmingham cranks have a marker that faces the timing side, it is on the flywheel rim. The only mark I can find is a "Z" stamped on one side and indeed it was on the timing side and a serial number etc on the other. The Z markmight be the mark or is it the serial number stamped on the flywheel taht faces the timing side?

I have received info from a fellow Norton enthusiast Colin Steer, but his set up is reversed and his wheel is stamped with a figure 8 instead of a Z and that faces the drive side.

With these two findings the results are inconclusive.

Could someone or several others or the NOC information let me know if they have some details from previous photos or an available crankshaft so i can get a good consensus as to which was the correct original assemly of the crank please?

I would be very much obliged for all information received.

Best regards

Les

Just to say I have now received information from the tech team Phil Hannam (many thanks):

"According to the late John Hudson,all the Birmingham built Dominator crankshafts were marked on their timing side flywheel rim with a âTâ or âZâ or âSâ - but not at Plumstead. So any built before 1963 should have one of theseletters stampedonthe Timing side cheek.

The flywheels also had casting numbers, which should be on the opposite cheek facing the drive side."

Thanks to everyone who got in touch directly with their details,I am very much obliged to them

Regards

Les

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans