Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

ES2 Trials 1938

Forums

Hello, recently I bought a Norton ES2 Trials specification of 1938, number of frame 87637, I'm looking for more information about the model.

attached some photos.

Best regards

Attachments

You can get the factory record and information for your bike from the NOC. Click on "records" on this website. A certificate can be provided which is a good thing to go with the Norton. The ES2 looks great.

Any late 1930s Norton could be ordered to Trials Specification.

The ES2 of this era however always had a full cradle frame. A 500cc single-port OHV in an "open diamond" frame would be a Model 18.

The open diamond frame from 1937 onwards featured horizontal saddle spring lugs intended to lower the saddle height. The frame photographed here is either 1936 or earlier, or perhaps a WD16H frame as they continued with the vertical mounts until 1945.

Wheel hubs here are the up-to 1935 type.

Attachments

Richard is correct, on the face of it this looks like a 1936 Model 18 with a later engine. The Model 18 or ES2 of that vintage would have had open valves. The ES2 and Model18 engines are interchangeable.

The NOC Records Officer will be able to date the frame, engine, and probably gearbox and forks from factory records. It is common for a bike this old to have needed a replacement engine at some time in the past, or perhaps someone may have decided to upgrade to an engine with enclosed valves.

Here's a picture (of my father) riding his trials Norton, so I hope you're going to use yours this way!

Hopefully the picture is attached as there are several warnings about Missing arguments?!

Most likely to be the Land's End Trial, although my father rode in other MCC trials, but I'm not sure which hills were used in the Exeter Trial. I've tried attaching some more photos but a warning message has come up when attaching them? I've still got my Dad's trophies from his trials riding, but what to do with them I know not!

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans