Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

ES2 knee grip rubbers 1954

Forums

Hi there - I am new to Nortons although I have had AJS's for many years (sorry) - I have just purchased a 1954 ES2 swing arm that has not been used for 40 odd years and so am going to rebuild itusing as many of the original parts as possible.

But one thing is baffleing me - which knee grip rubbers (which are missing - although there are signs if glue) do I need ? the only ones I can see for sale are either 1 or 2 bolt fixing but my tank has none.

Also is there a Spares Book for this year or if not which is the most useful for 1954 models.

Thanks

Charles

Hi Charles,

Let me start by saying, I am no ES2 expert. I did check my literature & photos & it looks like you should have 2 screws that hold the knee pads on. Is your tank currently painted? If so, someone may have covered up the holes with body filler (not unusual). Or I suppose, you could have the wrong petrol tank? Perhaps a photo of your tank may help find the issue.

All the best,

Skip Brolund

To get copies of the Riders Manual and the parts list you can troll in Ebay or you can try Bruce Main-Smith Co. at www.brucemain-smith.com. They provide copies of just about everything.

Show us some pics when it is done.

Mike

Hi Charles,

Going by the tank your bike is a 1955 model (frame/engine number will have K4 somewhere in it)and parts books for these are RARE. It took me many months of rooting through piles of manuals at shows to find one the same for the manual. The part numbers you need to check are on the back of these books; 14120/54 is the manualand the parts book is marked 1955 and covers the ES2, 19R and 19S.

If your bike is a 55 model a great many parts are unique to that year and forsome this was the last year they were made.

If you can work out how to do it send me a personal message through the site I may be able to advise you which parts are correct to the bike. The singles carried a great many fittings from the Model 7 twins including the seat, muguards, oil tankand others.

Thanks

James

James - Thanks for the information - both the engine & frame numbers tie up with each other and the Buff log book states that the date of registration is 23 October 1954 BUT the numbers both have K4 so more confusion !!!

Now I don't know what I have as far as the tank is concerned.

Sorry about the small photo - I'm new to this download digital type thingy

Regards

Charles

James - Thanks for the information - both the engine & frame numbers tie up with each other and the Buff log book states that the date of registration is 23 October 1954 BUT the numbers both have K4 so more confusion !!!

Now I don't know what I have as far as the tank is concerned.

Sorry about the small photo - I'm new to this download digital type thingy

Regards

Charles

Hi Charles,

Actually it's absolutely correct to have a 55 model at that time. This confusion catches everyone out as the model year ran from September 54 to August 55. I'm guessing your bikehas a frame numbersomewhere round the59450 mark going by the number on my Model 7 (despatched 12 oct 54/registered 16 oct 54). My ES2 which will be the same as yours when it is eventuallyrepairedwasn't despatched untilthe end of November54.

In theorythey should look the same but that depends on whether the staff put the right bits on...

I've attached a picture of the 55 ES2 taken from the original catalogue.

James

Attachments DSCN00931.jpg

James - not a bad guess 59339 - thanks for the info, now all I need to sort out are the knee grips/tanks

Regards

Hi Charles,

The knee grips are Model 7 items part number K12/282 (R/H) and K12/282 (L/H). Numbers taken from original ES2 spares book.They are about 6 1/2 inches long and glue on, there are no screws involved.

I attach a picture of a factory original item still in situ on my Model 7.

James

Attachments DSCN00941.jpg

Hi Charles,

The knee grips are Model 7 items part number K12/282 (R/H) and K12/282 (L/H). Numbers taken from original ES2 spares book.They are about 6 1/2 inches long and glue on, there are no screws involved.

I attach a picture of a factory original item still in situ on my Model 7.

James

Attachments DSCN00941.jpg

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans