Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

ES2 1961 Crankcase drilling

Forums

On my ES2, there is a drilling in the timing side crankcase (not the timing case) at about 7 o'clock running upwards and forwards. It lies behind the frame tube. It has a stud screwed into it - no oil leaks out.

It probably is a blocked off drilling for the manufacturing process for some oilway.

The question is, is the length of the stud important? If it's too long, could it block some oilway which would cause damage to the engine?

Normally such grub-screws "bottom out" against a shoulder so that they can be screwed up tight and will stay in once fitted, there is no need to ever take them out again.

I think I know the one you mean, unless you think that somebody has messed with it then I don't  think that you need to worry, post a picture.

That hole should have a plug screwed in (from memory 1/8” bsp tapered) about 3/8” long. Any longer and it will block the oil return passage to the pump.

John

... for that info.

I'll certainly have a look at it. I hope I can get it out.

Although when running, the oil flow back to the tank seems fine.

hello,

heres a photo of my 55 engine. in single down tube frame. showing a grub screw type bolt / plug. i tried to see if it was tight and i couldnt move it . so they must be like John says, tapered.

barry

Attachments

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans