Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Commando 750/850 frame identification?

Forums

Can any of you experts tell me how to tell the difference between the two frames please.

I have the parts list for engine number 212278 onwards which lists different part numbers for the two frames and the only difference on the frame checking data chart seems to be head stock angle, 62 degrees for the 850 and 63 for the 750.

The frame I have is missing the identification plate on the head stock.

Regards,

John Collington.

There is sometimes a part number stamped on the frame, think its normally on the headstock. An 850 will have longer gussets supporting the rear seat loop at the shock absorber mounts but not sure all 850's have this mod..

John, there are quite a number of 750 frames and several 850 variants. The best thing would be to post photos of the frame that you have with close-ups of the front fuel tank mounts and the rear shock gussets. We can certainly identify pre-'72 frames and late '74/75 production. In between might rely on an 06 number stamped on the leading edge of the tank bracket.

Thanks John and Richard, I will try and take some close up shots of the areas you both mention and post them asap.

Regards,

John Collington.

Hi John and Richard, I have had a close look at the areas you suggested.

At the top shock absorber mount the inside gusset is a lot longer than the outside one.

There is 00109 stamped on the left hand side of the headstock.

There is 064140 stamped on the leading edge of the tank bracket.

Does this information prove conclusive? if not I will remove the fuel tank and take a photo of the two areas as suggested.

Thanks again for your help,

Regards,

John Collington.

Previously john_holmes wrote:

My 850 MK2A has 00122 on the headstock and 06414? stamped on the front of the tank bracket, 064140 is down as the part number for the 850 1974 frame on the Andover Norton site and for sale at this link.

Sorry John, my reply got lost on the upload.

Just wanted to thank you for the information which answers my questions, my bike was registered August 1973 how does that compare to yours?

Also a very interesting site your link led to.

Regard,

John Collington.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans