Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Brooklands can on a 1947 ES2?

Forums

I have just acquired a rather nice 1947 Model 18 fitted with a 1949 ES engine.

Although fitted with a standard exhaust the bike has come with a Brooklands can.

Just for the fun of it I fitted it today ... what a sound!

But, my question is:

Not being familar with the ES2, how is the Brooklands can likely to affecr the performance.

There is a sort of option baffle fitted which I understand helps reduce any back pressure (not that I know what I am talking about ... this is all new to me)

TIA

Ian

Hello Richard, I fitted a Brooklands can to my 1949 ES2, so identical to your set-up. There is no baffle fitted, it's straight through and sounds gorgeous. My carb is a completely by-the-book standard unfiltered Amal 276 and there is no sign of weak running or other problem associated with a non-standard exhaust silencer. In fact, I have always thought how well, surprisingly well it goes.

There is a drawback. On longer rides, even with a well insulated helmet, the noise........ .......is so fabulous that you don't want to get off the bugger. I went up the shop to get the paper yesterday and did a round trip of 50 miles. The shop is 3/4 mile away.

Give it a handful!

Adam

Hello Ian and Adam,

By all means, run that Brooklands can if you want, it's your bike!

Adam's comment about the drawback just sounds like further enticement to me, when I first took newly acquired 1958 19s out for a real ride, I didn't come home for many hours, naturally my loving wife wondered where I had gone off to, I told her "The Old Man just wanted to look around" we've called the big thumper "The Old Man" ever since.

Cheers!

Albert

Hi Ian, am liking the "sound" of fitting a brooklands can to my 52 Es2, have seen pictures of them retro fitted, is there a makers name on the can or is it origional or one made by our Far East cousins !! Richard Davys-Jones 105243

Hello All,

Armour Motor Products list Brooklands Cans in all sizes, on page 24 of their 2009/10 catalog.

Regards,

Albert

Albert

Mine came from Feked.com, here is the link to it:

http://www.feked.com/universal-brooklands-motorcycle-silencer-24-id-35mm-to-51mm.html

It cost £107.95 + VAT (Total £129.54) and there is a fitting kit and baffle insert to go with it which I seem to remember cost about £20.

The "other half" doesn't like the sound so it was only fitted for one day and now sits all wrapped up on the shelf.

If you are interested in a very good second hand one ... let me know.

TTFNIan

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans