Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Big 4 Model 1 1935

Forums

hi, just got my first vintage bike.it is a big 4 model 1 1935 . cant seem to find any pics or photos on web .does any one know where i can get or see any of this particular year and model? is this a rare model? new to vintage norton scene so would appreciate any info. thanks martin .

Leafing through the factory records suggests that the Big 4 was one of the top sellers during the mid 1930s, behind the 16H, but proportionately it probably has the least survivors. Most were sidecar tugs and run into the ground, being finished off when the MOT test was introduced. In that respect, it is probably now pretty scarce.

It's also quite likely that the more than plentiful supply of WD16H engines post-war resulted in quite a few lost identities due to engine swaps.

1935 was the first year with the right hand exhaust and still had the squared off timing cover meaning that not all parts are interchangeable with the later models.

The engine has the non-enclosed valve gear so looks like a taller version of the WD16H which is common. The WD Big 4s though had the enclosed 1938 pattern engine and almost nothing in common.

What books do you have on your shelf ? Unfortunately, most of the illustrations use the heavily re-touched factory catalogue images but they give the general line and your chassis parts will be as per the 16H and Model 18 or that year.

Previously wrote:

Leafing through the factory records suggests that the Big 4 was one of the top sellers during the mid 1930s, behind the 16H, but proportionately it probably has the least survivors. Most were sidecar tugs and run into the ground, being finished off when the MOT test was introduced. In that respect, it is probably now pretty scarce.

It's also quite likely that the more than plentiful supply of WD16H engines post-war resulted in quite a few lost identities due to engine swaps.

1935 was the first year with the right hand exhaust and still had the squared off timing cover meaning that not all parts are interchangeable with the later models.

The engine has the non-enclosed valve gear so looks like a taller version of the WD16H which is common. The WD Big 4s though had the enclosed 1938 pattern engine and almost nothing in common.

What books do you have on your shelf ? Unfortunately, most of the illustrations use the heavily re-touched factory catalogueimages but they give the general line and your chassis parts will be as per the 16H and Model 18 or that year.

thanks for the info,its very helpful to me .now i know more about my bike .thanks again.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans