Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

961 slipper clutch

Hello, is anyone aware of a slipper clutch for the 961?

Has any 961 owner changed the rediculous side stand and found a better one and if so what, where? why do you have to be double jointed and be able to see in the dark to put this side stand down.

All you need to do is get a three or four inch length of stiff small bore (1/4") car heater hose and push it onto the rod that is welded to the stand by about an inch. Then practice flicking the stand out with your toe and cut to your required length. It's a cheap easily reversible modification that does the job. Well that's what I did anyway!

Previously simon_clarke wrote:

All you need to do is get a three or four inch length of stiff small bore (1/4") car heater hose and push it onto the rod that is welded to the stand by about an inch. Then practice flicking the stand out with your toe and cut to your required length. It's a cheap easily reversible modification that does the job. Well that's what I did anyway!

Yep I did a similar thing by using a small length of 8mm copper tubing and sliding it over the original tang extending it by a inch or so and the pushing a rubber bung over the end for cosmetic purposes.

The new 961 Dominator has an equally awkward side stand that is not its best selling point. Check out the attached photos showing mod similar to suggested above. Remember that most Insurance companies have to be notified of any mods that may affect a vehicle's performance. Also a vehicle's warranty may also be affected. Note the tank mod done to save the paintwork.

Attachments 961%20Tank%20Mod.JPG 961-stand-mod-1-jpg technica

Can someone please tell me how we got from a slipper clutch issue in July 2015 to tank and stand modifications seven months later. Am I in some sort of weird time warp?

Talking of slipper clutches...... I am surprised they are not fitted as standard. They are quite an asset to safety, as well as being useful on track days.

Hi Ian and MArk

My understanding of slipper clutches is that their main use is on performance machines to stop/reduce engine braking and /or excessive revving etc. Whilst I can see their use on track days and racing, I am a believer in engine braking on the road. Please feel free to enlighten me as I can always learn something new. Thanks

Graham. Slipper clutches are fitted to many performance bikes now, and in fact have been for some years. My 2001 Aprilia 1000 V twin did, as does my currently owned 2003 Benelli Tornado 900 triple; likewise Kawasaki's, Ducati etc.

You are right, their main benefit is on track, but I understand that some 961 owners do go on track days. The main benefit there is that from very high speed you can use all your bike's not inconsiderable braking force, whilst tapping down through the gearbox without having to blip the throttle at each gear, secure in the knowledge that when you release the clutch lever, you won't lock the back wheel. Thus lap times are improved. Of course there is the safety issue associated with not locking your back wheel as well, particularly when you are trail-braking into a corner!

This can transfer to road use, where over-enthusiastic down-changes, particularly in adverse road conditions, could cause a lock-up with potentially disastrous results. I know we should always ride within our limits, but if we did, there would never be a motorcycle accident!

If we switch from a classic with right-hand 'down for up' gearchange to our modern bike where it is opposite, it could be possible whilst giving it the beans in, say 3rd gear, to shift into second instead of 4th. The slipper clutch will save your engine, gearbox and possibly your life. A correctly set-up slipper clutch will allow full engine braking in normal road use, which I like to use also, only kicking in as described above. In practice, I am rarely aware of it on my Benelli on the road, but I would not want to do a track day without one.

Hi Ian Thanks vey much. Was the slipper clutch on your Aprilla a factory option. I went for the SP1 at the time and it did not have one nor did my 2010 ZZR1400.

I had often thought that switching sides to change gear was fraught with danger and I can see where it would help.

Do you know if there is one available as an aftermarket part for the 961? I have been busy today and have not had time to research this myself.

Many Thanks

Graham

I bought the Aprilia when it was a year old, so I assumed it was standard on the Mille's. My son has a 2006'ish ZR636 which he bought new, and that has a slipper clutch.

I have bikes with 4 & 6 speed 'boxes, left and right change, up for up and down for up... it keeps you alert!

I had a quick look at Surflex and Sigma, and neither list a slipper clutch for the 961.

Interestingly, Triumph have stolen a march by introducing a slipper clutch in the new Thruxton Bonnevilles....

One drawback with them is that you cannot normally bump-start a bike so fitted.

You are all being conned into useless technology !! If you learned to ride properly and ride regularly then why would you need any riding AIDS ?

To shave a second off here or a tenth off there? Because your safer? Bike deaths went up considerably last year in London ??

Why did you all by 961s if you wanted high tech !!!

And you say that I upset people and have no friends !!!!!! Your comments I am sure will get a response. Prepare yourself :)

Previously terry_woods wrote:

You are all being conned into useless technology !! If you learned to ride properly and ride regularly then why would you need any riding AIDS ?

To shave a second off here or a tenth off there? Because your safer? Bike deaths went up considerably last year in London ??

Why did you all by 961s if you wanted high tech !!!

The big problem with human beings is that they tend totake more risk if theyare better protected or use safety aids (for example tend to drive quicker with a helmet than without a helmet). This might be one of the reasons that accidental statistics are not approving automatically with high tech...

Raphael

Hi Rapahel I think in London its more to do with vast amounts of relatively untrained riders who are not bikers per se. The standard of riding in London is poor. It used to be that other riders always looked out for one another but a new breed has emerged that will cut others bikers up and generally put themselves and others at risk. I am no slouch through town but always look out for other bikers. That coupled with the higher volume of traffic, the ridiculous traffic management and the general demise in standards has led to the current situation.

Were you feeling a bit grumpy when you got up this morning, Terry?

Are you quite sure that none of us are able to ride properly, or don't ride as much as, say, you do? Only an arrogant twit would make a remark such as that, insulting fellow forum contributors simply because their ideas do not concur with yours. It speaks volumes about you.

Back to the subjectWink, very experienced and knowledgable riders get great results from using their slipper clutch correctly, reducing their lap times compared with a similar machine without such a fitment. Yes, that is what track days and racing are all about, reducing lap times. Nothing to do with getting killed in London. There are those on this forum who have called for a one make racing series for 961's, where this simple device would prove it's worth.

Deary me.....

Sorry Ian, nothing personal intended I was making a point about technology not ability.

I'm a fine one to talk I'm always buying bikes and then tricking them !

Good luck with your your slippers clutch project, I believe that the 961 clutch internals are Yamaha if that helps.

I would definitely be interested in a single series track event and hope I would not be excluded because of my beliefs.

I will try in future to wake up with my happy summer face.

Dreary me.......

Actually Terry, the slipper clutch in my Benelli is not really high tech, more old fashioned engineering, and involves no electronics, unlike traction control, launch control, abs or anti-wheelie, none of which it has, btw.

It works on a ramp system in the clutch. When the engine is driving, the clutch is fully engaged, but when subjected to 'back torque', as would be generated by a downward gearchange and clutch lever release at high revs on a closed throttle, which may otherwise lock up the drive train and back wheel, the ramp allows the clutch to work in reverse, raising the clutch plates, separating them and allowing them to slip, thus easing the strain on the drive train. As the rear wheel speed is catching up with the revs it re-engages in a controlled manner, working in the normal way once more. Likewise as soon as you come back on the throttle. The action can be adjusted by the clutch plate stack height, hence one can buy plates of differing thickness, which you play around with by trial and error to achieve the amount of slip you require.

Good old fashioned engineering, I would say. I wouldn't advocate them on 'old' bikes, but I can see a place for one in a 961, is all I am saying.

My apologies for my sharp retort to your post..... group hug anyone?Laughing

Sounds like a plan, Terry.

I have to confess to not owning a 961; I was just interested in the topic of the thread. As you can tell, I am a fan of slipper clutches, also quick-shifters.... doh... no, we won't go there!

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans